Pool filter sand

icer711

holey cow nice im gonna have to try it
i sprinkle some of my oatmeal sand in just to give it a different look i would shoot you a pict but i cant upload jack out here these days (its i think larger grains than that but they have some whites mixed in with black specials i think i kinda a tropical style sand but i get it from a landscaper..... on a different note great place to get slate in larger sizes for cheep to or larger stones

Betty

Staff member
Yeah, the oatmeal sand in your picture looks like a much larger grain. The pool filter sand is still pretty small, but it's just heavy enough to make it easier to vacuum without sucking it all up.

If you do decide to try some, make sure to rinse it several times. It's not nearly as dirty as the play sand that I've tried, but it is not clean enough to put straight into the tank!

icer711

ok ill keep that in mind when i try it...
is it worse than cleaning the Tahitian black moon sand? i know from personal experience that stuff sucks to clean (20+ rises even in small amounts)

sidekicking

I like to use Tahitian black moon sand and I find it to be super clean
I don't rinse it I just throw it in the tank and fill it up with water lol

Doza

sidekicking said:
lol idk where the h$#@ you buy your Moon sand.. All the stuff ive gotten has always had really bad small dusty sand all in it..

sandnuka

The african black sand I got was really nasty too... i rinsed it really well.... still clouded up... but came with this weird magnet water clearing chemical... and normally I dont dump things in my tank water, but there was no fish in it, and it needed to cycle anyway so i dumped it in.... worked awesomely... water was crystal within an hour... cool stuff, came with the sand.

Doza

sandnuka said:
The african black sand I got was really nasty too... i rinsed it really well.... still clouded up... but came with this weird magnet water clearing chemical... and normally I dont dump things in my tank water, but there was no fish in it, and it needed to cycle anyway so i dumped it in.... worked awesomely... water was crystal within an hour... cool stuff, came with the sand.
yea mine came with that same thing... All it does is makes the fine particals sink to the bottom.. Thats great tank clears up but as soon as something stirs up the surface.. rearanging or clearing out plants or fish digging and it will cloud up again... Better off rinsing it 100 times and get the fine particulate sand out of you good sand..

sidekicking

Doza said:
sidekicking said:
lol idk where the h$#@ you buy your Moon sand.. All the stuff ive gotten has always had really bad small dusty sand all in it..

I buy my sand from a place for pets
I'm serious is super clean lol

Betty

Staff member
My TMS was filthy and I rinsed it for what seemed like forever before I put it in the tank.

Although the PFS is dirty, it wasn't that dirty. Rinsed in small amounts, it shouldn't take too long.

sandnuka

well really its all in the way you fill up your tank.... if you do it super slow, I never have a problem..... I even use soil as a substrate... cant really pre-rinse that.... also use flourite in one of my tanks, and It was like mud, didnt rinse it either, wanted all the good mud! So anything will be fine, as long as you fill the tank slow, and dont mess with stuff after its filled to stir it up again. :)

Betty

Staff member
I agree with the slow filling! But I do get mine stirred up with vacuuming each week and...

My fish would never cooperate with leaving it alone and not getting it stirred up! This is their decorating, not mine. :evil: They kept putting that hill front and center starting right after I had leveled it back down. (This was blasting sand.)

blasting.jpg

Betty

Staff member
Thanks Doza! I did have a few fuelleborni at the time, but in a different tank. The fish in that picture was a poor quality or possible hybrid greshakei. He looks a little weird because of the angle the picture was taken from.

If anyone is interested in getting pool filter sand, I stumbled upon the same brand at McClendon's Hardware today, while looking for something unrelated. It was only $9.99.

icer711

sweet thanks ill try and remember to look next time im over that way or if im lucky enough ace out here will have it :) where in the store did you find it so we will kinda know where to look grrrr still gonna have to rinse it
kopfschuettel.gif
... oh well as long as it mixes well with the silica

Doza

Betty said:
The fish in that picture was a poor quality or possible hybrid greshakei
Really...In the angle it looks like it has the fleshy hump. and it has all the coloration and the markings of one.

I just looked up a pic of the grehakei and it looks just like the picture of your guy.. i can see why it looked like it had the hump in your picture.. the pic i looked up it shed them with almost a slightly pointed mouth..

why did youu think yours was a hybrid..

sandnuka

wow.... my africans dont mess with the sand that much.... my old midas used to do that with the gravel though.... lol, it made me soooo made, especially after just leveling it... one day later, all in front of the glass again.

Now I dont put much sand in there, thats probably why they dont dig as much

icer711

lol sand i don't even have that much in my 125 with eggcrate under it and my pieces of coral are being rearranged and disappearing :( apparently they don't like some so there being buried lol

betty glad to see im not the only that has fish trying to make sand castles
lol.gif

Betty

Staff member
icer711 said:
where in the store did you find it so we will kinda know where to look grrrr still gonna have to rinse it
kopfschuettel.gif
... oh well as long as it mixes well with the silica
I found it in the outdoor gardening section, near the pond and pool supplies. I'm pretty sure that it is silica sand as well, just different color and size. You might like it unmixed too. I prefer it just like it is with no mixing. The color of it appears differently depending on the lighting of your tank. Here's another picture where it looks lighter, but it isn't mixed with anything.
88918cf1.jpg

Doza said:
Betty said:
The fish in that picture was a poor quality or possible hybrid greshakei
Really...In the angle it looks like it has the fleshy hump. and it has all the coloration and the markings of one.

I just looked up a pic of the grehakei and it looks just like the picture of your guy.. i can see why it looked like it had the hump in your picture.. the pic i looked up it shed them with almost a slightly pointed mouth..

why did youu think yours was a hybrid..
Because of the dark vertical bars on the body. Good quality greshakei don't normally show those bars. :cry: It was one of the first cichlids I bought and I posted it for ID several years ago since it didn't really look like the fish it was labeled as. They agreed it wasn't a good quality greshakei or that it might be hybrid. :cry:

Doza

none the less very preatty fish.. i love the vertical bars on fish.. my male has the same coloration and gets a bright whiteish blue when courting females.. its awsome.