Poll: which new fish for my nano tank?

yeah! I want to try maple leaves as well, although, I haven't had much luck finding good sized maple leaves (about the size of your hand)

pbmax

How about maple leaves bigger than your head? I'll have more of those than I know what to do with in a month or two ;)

A

Anonymous

LuminousAphid said:
Ok, well I decided... I think it turned out well.

I actually moved everything out of the tank, and it has all new inhabitants! Fun times!

I got 5 Malawa shrimp, 1 trumpet snail, and 1 Sparkling Gourami. They seem to be doing well together so far, no sign that the gourami doesn't like shrimp or anything, and I think the load is more appropriate for the size of the tank and filtration. The shrimp seem happy with the higher PH I have been running (just crushed coral in the substrate, no additives), not sure about the Gourami but s/he is eating and everything, no signs of stress.

I'm very happy, thanks for the suggestions and for participating!
:spoton:

LuminousAphid

A few leaves might be a good idea... they RCS in my 10 gallon are starting to eat of the catappa leaf I put in there, and my longfin albino bristlenose likes to hide under it... although I fear for his fins, the substrate is kind of rough in there

I'm going to be down in the area helping my aunt move today, so if you are in the shop, I might see you there.

pbmax, oh man those maple leaves would be great! Any way you could perhaps mail them and I could pay for shipping and handling? As many as you can cram in a box without breaking them, so to speak? In the meantime, I will keep my eyes peeled for some giant maple leaves here =P

LuminousAphid, I don't work today, Cory usually has me working on Tuesdays, except this week. That's why I'm working tomorrow instead. hehe

nick_76

I chose shrimp here because I think a 3 gallon really is to small for pretty much any fish. I usually cringe inside when I see fish inside a sub-10 gallon tank..

LuminousAphid

Yeah, I'm not sure the gourami is super happy, but I will give him/her a couple more days to adjust and start eating.

I might go with just the shrimp in the end, they (malawa) are apparently low maintenance too which is nice.

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
pbmax, oh man those maple leaves would be great! Any way you could perhaps mail them and I could pay for shipping and handling? As many as you can cram in a box without breaking them, so to speak? In the meantime, I will keep my eyes peeled for some giant maple leaves here =P
Why do you need huge maple leaves? I would think smaller maple leaves would work better, personally. If you really want I can dump a huge load of soggy yellow, orange, and brown maple leaves from my lawn / neighbor's yard (should be pesticide / herbicide free) in a trash bag and jam them into flat rate box when the time comes, but I think your're better off hunting locally. I have a dwarf maple in my front yard that dumps leaves that break down quite well once dried - not as much as nettle leaves, but well enough. I don't harvest nettle leaves for free because those require a lot of my time.

pbmax

nick_76 said:
I chose shrimp here because I think a 3 gallon really is to small for pretty much any fish. I usually cringe inside when I see fish inside a sub-10 gallon tank..
I agree. Good for shrimp, not so much for fish.

LuminousAphid

pbmax said:
nick_76 said:
I agree.  Good for shrimp, not so much for fish.
Yeah, I'm beginning to see the light here. I only have the 1 sparkling gourami in there, but s/he seems stressed, not sure if it's the small size or if my water parameters aren't perfect (I know they aren't yet, I should have paid more attention and waited), but s/he doesn't seem to want to eat. I think I will hold off feeding for a couple days to avoid any extra ammonia, and then see how feeding goes.

pbmax

Do you have any ammonia or nitrite in the tank? If so, it might be best to put the fish elsewhere for a while.

pbmax: I'm going to use them for an art project. LOL...can you believe it? Me? Doing something that's NOT related to fish OR fire spinning? This is madness.

LuminousAphid: Hmmm yeah, definitely see if you can move that dwarf gourami somewhere else. It'll be happier!