PokeSephiroth's 40 Gallon Hex Restoration Project

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
So wait... what's buse?
I am sorry , it's Buce - Bucephalandra. They are super slow growing. One detached from my log. Lost it for a couple months. It floated over, and attached itself to the mesh I use to catch plants before entering my overflow.

@DMD123, that's an awesome idea. This could also me done with real  bog woods or those branches we use in the aquarium trade.

Whoa, that Buce stuff looks neat! Slow growing though eh? Hrmmm... totally worth it though, if you can manage to cover a whole log with that stuff =P

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Whoa, that Buce stuff looks neat! Slow growing though eh? Hrmmm... totally worth it though, if you can manage to cover a whole log with that stuff =P
Slow slow slow. Imagine how slow Anubias can grow under  low light conditions. Then times that by 3, Bucephalandra! Now imagine your self paying $30 for a 1 inch ryhzome. SOLD!!! You can send it to me VIA PayPal, LOL!!

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Oh my gooooooosh!!!!!! I barfed a little inside. That much huh? Perhaps when I win the lotto. Hahha
I know right?! Was a total splurge moment while searching for plants that no many people grow. I also picked up a couple crypt species not seen much that cost a pretty penny. So far the crypt has been a good investment. They look pretty neat.

A

Anonymous

Got Florida sunset I picked up from hobbyorobsession a while ago that's doing well. It has a nice 2 tone dark green on top and that sunset color under the leaves. And a newer addition called Pink flamingo. This plant can get an insane pink color with tiger striping under certain conditions. Neat little plant that I just started splitting and spreading around my tank. Mine hasn't gone completely pink but looks super.

So, here's a little update with this project...

I've decided AGAINST painting the stand and canopy, however, I DID do some reinforcing on the canopy and stand to make it sturdier. I also added a piece of wood on the stand, because the cabinet was missing a piece. I'm still unsure if I really want to keep the stand and canopy the way it looks right now, but because the wood has been varnished, that would mean that I would have to strip it all off before I even try putting any paint on it.

I put in two amazon swords, giant hairgrass, and a aponogeton ulvaceus in there, not quite sure how I'm going to aquascape it just yet, BUT... those will do for now.

I like how the giant hairgrass pretty much covers up the tube that runs all the way down to the drain (which, I still have to figure out, as I'm currently just using a 5 gallon bucket to catch the water. Which, does the job.. just looks a bit unsightly, but I don't really mind. Hahaha!!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 35

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have painted a ton of stands without stripping off the old finish. Just a light sanding and them make sure to get off all the dust and then I spray it with cans. I find the Satin finishes do the best.

DMD123, oh wow! That sounds way easier than I thought it would be, if that's the case, then that just might be another summer project, if I don't get to it by the end of this summer :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Yep super easy. I know it seems ghetto doing it with spray cans but If you use the Rust-Oleum Satin finishes and carefully apply multiple thin coats it does an awesome job and no one would think it was out of cans. Looks as good as if you had a fancy sprayer. My 210g stand that you saw was done that way with satin black and I refinished a chair for the wife (In a gloss almond, so a bit more tricky) all with spray cans.

I like that! I remember my first paint job I did, which was for the 36 gallon bowfront, and I used rustoleum, but it wasn't a spray can, it was in a bucket, but I've learned the same thing that spray paint is the way to go! :)

A

Anonymous

Very nice Poke. Like the bucket idea. I've done this before but in reverse with the bucket above the tank and a pump pumping water into the bucket and using gravity to feed the water back into the tank. Great thinking! :spoton:

Thanks! What you mentioned, is it kinda like how Hank's tank at the shop works? Basically an overhead filter that drains back down into the tank, yeah?

I'd sure wish I could do that with this setup, although, I wouldn't know where to put the trickle/wet-dry filter without making it look obscure. :p

A

Anonymous

I've seen wet dry filters in hoods. I don't know if that is an option for you...