Pleco Cave Mod Project...

jettej

Hello guys I just want to start a thread about modding/building pleco caves for different size/kind of plecos. Breeding plecos takes a lot of work and sometimes techniques just like other fish. I became really interested with Ancistrus Plecos especially the Blackwater type Ancistrus since 2012. They are very hardy fish but also very challenging to breed. After months of research and especially my previous attendance on the GSAS meeting with "Pleco Barbie" as the guest speaker I really realized how important the size, look, texture, and the material of the caves. I will be honest that I have been trying to spawn my L183s - Starlight Bristlenose Pleco for about 2 years now and still haven't gotten them to spawn. I did everything: 40 gallon species only tank, RO/DI h20, Indian almond leaves, peat moss, tons of driftwood, 80% cold water change, different size of cylindrical terracota and bamboo caves still nothing. same applies to my LDA008 - Ancistrus Claro. I noticed that most of the caves is way too big for them and they just use for hiding.

I made this topic just so if I succeeded to spawn this kind of plecos after changing and modding the style and size of my cave. This will prove the importance of the caves and maybe we can also find out how a certain kind of pleco choose the appropriate cave and also find out why.

We will start here. That's my old ugly DIY terracota pot and right beside it is the bamboo cave:

Here are some cut up bambo caves:

This one is a smaller cave that fits the Claro perfectly. Diameter is about 1.25" length is 4" as my Male Claro is about 2.5":

So here's my first thought on what I would use as a surface for my caves. Most blackwater habitats got lots of rocks especially Claros. I want to use the slate to give them a natural feeling and also they would act as a weight so the caves won't move around and disturb the spawning action.

Another one but slightly bigger for the Starlights!:

I will use a "Aquarium Safe Silicon" to attach the caves on the slates. That's all I got for now. If you have any suggestions or you have a better way on building or modding the caves please let me know.

Thank you,
Jeth

Bob

At least yours go in caves, my 183s just bee-bop around all day in the open. Probably because i dont have nice custom caves like you.

Betty

Staff member
Looks like some good options for them to choose from. I can't tell if some of them aren't closed on one end?

My bristlenose like small tight-fitting caves. I offered mine bamboo and log style caves and they have used them, but the type that they fight over are cichlid stones! The small size. Even though the bn are longer than the caves, they still cram themselves in those somehow. There are pictures of them and the stone caves here --http://www.wafishbox.com/forums/threads/bristlenose-pleco-caves.6600/
If you can find one, you could give that a try to see if they like it.

Ali

I bought one of the 1" rectangular terra cotta caves from Cory's shop ages ago and never got around to putting it in a tank. It really looks too small for the BN.

But I threw it in the tank with my 180s (2 presumed females and 1 male from Barbie) and I always see somebody in there. The male is too young to breed so I haven't seen eggs or anything, but they sure like playing around in there!

If you make some extra of those half-bamboos on slate I'll buy one from you at the next swap :)

jettej

At least yours go in caves, my 183s just bee-bop around all day in the open. Probably because i dont have nice custom caves like you.

Well 1 or 2 of them regularly goes in random caves. I think it's the females that does not show interest of spawning. could be still not mature enough or not just getting the right parameters.

Looks like some good options for them to choose from. I can't tell if some of them aren't closed on one end?

My bristlenose like small tight-fitting caves. I offered mine bamboo and log style caves and they have used them, but the type that they fight over are cichlid stones! The small size. Even though the bn are longer than the caves, they still cram themselves in those somehow. There are pictures of them and the stone caves here --http://www.wafishbox.com/forums/threads/bristlenose-pleco-caves.6600/
If you can find one, you could give that a try to see if they like it.

Yes, it will be closed on one end. I cut the bamboo into pieces so one end was cut open. I will also us a slate to seal one end of the caves.

My Claro likes to hang out the small cichlid hut made by cobalt but the opening is big in height. so I'm thinking the apisto hut by cobalt as well which has a smaller diameter and rounder opening might be perfect for him.

Thank's for the link I will check them out!!

I bought one of the 1" rectangular terra cotta caves from Cory's shop ages ago and never got around to putting it in a tank. It really looks too small for the BN.

But I threw it in the tank with my 180s (2 presumed females and 1 male from Barbie) and I always see somebody in there. The male is too young to breed so I haven't seen eggs or anything, but they sure like playing around in there!

If you make some extra of those half-bamboos on slate I'll buy one from you at the next swap :)

Definitely, if I manage to make some extras I will bring some and we'll talk about it. Like Barbie said they want their caves to be about perfect size to fit just the male and the female. so I'm really assuming that my round bamboo caves are just too big and too long for them and never bother to occupy them as a spawning spot...

jettej

Update: MY CLARO LDA008 ANCISTRUS SPAWNED EITHER LAST NIGHT OR TODAY! MY CAVE WORKED!!! No pics yet because i do not want to disturb the male too much but they did it!!! now i have to wait and watch until they hatch and ready to free swim so i can transfer them in a different tank or divider as my other fish are waiting and been stalking the cave since!!!

Reactions: Bob

Betty

Staff member
Congrats! That looks like a viable egg. There should be a wiggler soon. :)

Ali

I had to re-watch to realize the pebble wasn't the egg, and was trying to figure out how on earth a claro laid an egg bigger than an adult :p