Plant Question

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Since there's no shortage of space for new threads lol I thought I'd make a separate one for this question:

The brown stuff on this fern-like plant. (I wish I could remember the names of these plants I get from Aquarium Co-op!) Anyway, what the hell is that? I don't have an algae problem in this tank otherwise and if it were algae, wouldn't the Puffer Food Snails be over there working on it? It's only in spots on the plant. The rest of the plant looks great and I've got four little curls of new growth coming.

Ideas? Should I cut it off or ?

I'm new to planted aquariums - REALLY NEW - so if this is a dumb question, I thank you for your patience in advance!

50_brown stuff.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Thanks @Seattle_Aquarist

Tell me, what do you think COOLEST Otocinclus is/are?

I think I need a couple of them. It seems that the 30G also has some of this going on.

And thanks for the ID. If its written here, I'll remember it.

FishBeast

How long has the tank been running? Usually in the first month after a tank is set up is when diatoms show up... I thought I could get rid of them with shorter light periods but apparently they are unaffected by that.

Ditto for otocinclus! I have 3 in my pea puffer tank. They do need a mature tank with stable water parameters or they die quickly. Once you get past the initial "settling-in" period then you are good. Otocinclus will also help keep algae off your plant leaves!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I could get one for the 30G. The 50G isn't mature enough. Besides, all those snails that my little Amazon Puffer is NOT eating (and probably drinking and playing cards with while I am at work) are doing a pretty good job on any algae in there....