Photo of the month- FISH. What about photo of the month -TANKS?!

A

Anonymous

:afro: - What do  all y'all MODS and WaFishBox members think?  Same rules , same game , different photos. 

Madness

Staff member
Well the picture of the month goes on the banner. So a picture of a tank may not fit up there very well. :)

A

Anonymous

Madness said:
Well the picture of the month goes on the banner.  So a picture of a tank may not fit up there very well.  :)
True, I just wanna see everyone's tanks every month In a thread :) 
Maybe the whole banner could be the TOTM? IDK....
Or just no banner shot, but maybe a picture inside the forum. I notice Admin playing around adding and removing stuff periodically on the sides in the forum main.  Maybe Admin or a MOD can place a picture there?

MRTom

On the technical side: I don't think the picture on the banner is a must for tanks. Maybe just a box just below the fish of the month on the portal page is enough. Reward can be flexible.

On logistics: fish, do you wanna run it? If there are volunteers to do it and keep it alive, I don't see why it couldn't happen. But someone has to receive the pictures, organize the poll and drive the voting. :)

Madness

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
Madness said:
Well the picture of the month goes on the banner.  So a picture of a tank may not fit up there very well.  :)
True, I just wanna see everyone's tanks every month In a thread :) 
Maybe the whole banner could be the TOTM? IDK....
Or just no banner shot, but maybe a picture inside the forum. I notice Admin playing around adding and removing stuff periodically on the sides in the forum main.  Maybe Admin or a MOD can place a picture there?
Mods dont have the ability to do these things, only admin. Will send the idea over to the admin.

MRTom

Another alternative to the reward is to get your tank post stickied on the photos forum for a month :D

A

Anonymous

Or promote the gallery to have members post their tanks and have admin allow members to update their photos without having delete the old pictures.

A

Anonymous

Their own pictures in main gallery and in their personal gallery..

A

Anonymous

MRTom said:
On the technical side: I don't think the picture on the banner is a must for tanks. Maybe just a box just below the fish of the month on the portal page is enough. Reward can be flexible.

On logistics: fish, do you wanna run it? If there are volunteers to do it and keep it alive, I don't see why it couldn't happen. But someone has to receive the pictures, organize the poll and drive the voting. :)
Would be cool to put the picture inside the forum like where the calendar is. 

I would do it but would require putting my name in blue or green
 :twisted: - power! Bwahahahaaaaa

SiRWesDragon said:
Or promote the gallery to have members post their tanks and have admin allow members to update their photos without having delete the old pictures.
Besides the new TOTM , this is an awesome idea IF it's possible. I was thinking about how and if it was possible to do that just today. My 140 has gone though a lot of changes. Should I post a new picture? Or is it possible to change out the old pict!?

A

Anonymous

Well what i did was delete my old tank pictures and posted a new one. My tank pictures used to be near Hanks tank picture. But if we were able to update the pictures everytime we change our scapes, would be great.

I'm in. Although, granted... my tanks don't really change appearance on a month by month basis... but I figure it would still be fun to participate in.

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
I'm in. Although, granted... my tanks don't really change appearance on a month by month basis... but I figure it still be fun to participate in.
Well I figured if as many people participate in a TPOTM as they do in FPOTM it should be on going. Or, could do a bi monthly contest, or whatever...

I was kind of hoping that those who dont post pictures very often of their aquascapes would potentially post some (yeah u know who you are  ;)  ) . There are 3D backgrounds (with and without real plants). Big rocky scapes, no plants big fish. And the complete opposite. I bet some of the big cichlid owners with the right lighting and patients could get a shot that would rival any of the planted tanks. I would probably put a little extra effort in planted aquascaping instead of just shoving a bunch of plants in the tank, lol.

A

Anonymous

Instead of a "contest" we could do a featured TOTM. Participants could do a small write up on the system. This would include tank systems in the most simplest form to the most elaborate electronically controlled high tech set ups.

MRTom

The whole "OTM" thing kind of implies some selection process... Why don't we just do it and see where it goes? Let's brainstorm some possible scenarios. Here's what I've heard so far and a few more ideas:

- Simple photo competition a la FOTM. Everyone sends their pictures in to an organizer who then creates a poll thread and people vote for tanks.
- Tank Post competition: Each participant posts a topic about a tank (one tank per month?) with a brief description (template?). The threads are reviewed and a judging crew selects a profile of the month?
- Tank photo/profile poll: Participants submit a photo and brief summary (template!) to a organizer who creates an anonymized poll and then folks vote? (This seems harder to anonymize than the FOTM posts)
- Featured tanks: remove the monthly competition aspect. Folks can submit a tank for review by peers by making a post or sending email. Then reviewers work with that person to improve the tank or get more information until the tank is deemed by a committee as worthy of the tank "hall of fame"

Any other ideas?

A

Anonymous

This is good MRTom. A MOD or admin could choose a tank in the gallery, contact the owner and ask if they would be interested as a featured tank. If agreed the owner then would do a write up of the system. Then admin could post the picture, and perhaps a small write up on the front page of something...

MRTom

Why does it have to be limited to mods or admins? I can see how we might not want everyone to just up and select tanks anytime. How about using forum sponsors for this?

A

Anonymous

What exactly is a forum sponsor? Perhaps this is a noOb question but I never totally understood. This is the first forum I've ever signed up with. It seems sponsors just have the ability to have a highlighted name. The only sponsor that's been active is Aquarium CoOp and since he's actually admin I am confused exactly the importance and function of sponsors.

If I remember correctly, a forum sponsor (name in green) is when you donated money to the forum. This was before Cory bought the forum, so I don't know if that still applies the same way.