Pea Puffers won't come out!

Evergreenblue

So, I just did a water change and confirmed that my two peas are still alive, but I don't see them ever! They come out when I do a water change, and I'm thinking it's because I cut flow. I have a HOB and a little Koralia Pico. I put the Pico in because the one side without the HOB was so stagnant that there was a film on the water surface. I decided to leave it cut for a while and see if they come out. I did add a bunch of plants hoping it would make them feel better, and while the plants all look like they're growing, the peas still stay behind the rock! Why do they stay back there if not for flow? Are they "doin it"? It's a male and female.

Anyone have tips to get them to come out more?

Loren

That is unusual as they are normally very social. I have 3 right now and the bully chases the other two around constantly but none of them seem to pay any attention to anything outside of their world.

Evergreenblue

Mine seem super skittish... They're out a little today, probably because there's hardly any flow in there, but as soon as I step up to the tank to observe them, they freak out and head back into hiding. I remember my first puffers would literally be happy to see me and looked like they were begging for food... these two seem like they want nothing to do with me.

Loren

Mine aren't bothered by water flow and even play in the bubble wall in the back of the tank.

Evergreenblue

Yep, just the two of them. I added some amano shrimp these past couple weeks and haven't noticed any difference.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Evergreenblue

A couple more puffers? I would think they would bully them to death. Have you had good luck with that?

Evergreenblue

I originally started with three, but one was tiny and got bullied... He eventually was never seen again.

Loren

Well puffers are a crap shoot. I had only one for almost a year because I heard that they you need a big aquarium if you are going to have multiples. Now I have three and one is a bully and chases the other two around. I don't know what other advice to give you for your situation. All fish have unique personalities that manifest themselves in unique ways.

Evergreenblue

That's fair... I'll probably have to just accept that they like to hide, as long as they're fat and happy. I wonder if I should experiment with adding another fish in there... I just don't want a blood bath!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well puffers are a crap shoot. I had only one for almost a year because I heard that they you need a big aquarium if you are going to have multiples. Now I have three and one is a bully and chases the other two around. I don't know what other advice to give you for your situation. All fish have unique personalities that manifest themselves in unique ways.

I'm with Loren on this one. I had a pea puffer single once who was as docile and wonderful as they come. Cute. Came up to the tank when I fed, etc. I got six in the 20 long -- I think - because it's heavily planted and I've only seen four all at once time - and they chewed the crap out of a long fin betta. They don't seem to bother the endlers or the corys at all.

I just walked back there. I saw all six. They've eaten so they all look like pollywogs right now.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I originally started with three, but one was tiny and got bullied... He eventually was never seen again.

Another thing that someone told me from here is the break up the sight line so there's nooks and crannies to hide in from each other. I got plants, rocks, etc.

Evergreenblue

Yeah, I might consider some tank mates... I'm hesitant to put more puffers in, because these two are so big now, over an inch and fat! Maybe some dwarf catfish or something that can stick up for itself and not get the "Romeo treatment"

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Yeah, I might consider some tank mates... I'm hesitant to put more puffers in, because these two are so big now, over an inch and fat! Maybe some dwarf catfish or something that can stick up for itself and not get the "Romeo treatment"

OVER AN INCH???? These are PEA PUFFERS??? What you feedin' them???

LOL@Romeo treatment