Parasitic Worms in fish

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
For parasitic worms not in the intestines surgery is the only option.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thats the thing about getting wild caught fish… you never really know what will come with them. Nice job removing the parasite worms!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Did you sedate with clove oil at all or just go to town? I used to have a source for MS-222 but not anymore.
Yes, I was able to get clove oil from GNC to use as sedative. I would not want to perform surgery on a fish that was flopping around.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Never have...but from things i see on the net I don't think that was the problem.
The following is from a research paper about juvenile catfish in China infected with dermocystidium:
Infected juvenile southern catfish were emaciated, and swam sluggishly on the water’s surface of net cages in the river. The infected catfish were covered with structures looking at first sight like white worms or winding white threads, which were subcutaneous (Figs. 1 to 3). Closer examination showed these structures to be cysts of the Dermocystidium sp., which were only observed in skin and fins of the catfish, and were not found in other organs. Cysts of different sizes (3 to 20 mm in length and 0.15 to 0.35 mm in width) were located in the dermis in an irregular way (Figs. 1 to 3). The anal fin was often found to bear cysts (Fig. 3). The infected sites of the fish skin displayed hyperaemia and oedema (Figs. 1 to 3). The epidermis at some parasitized locations was ruptured and had been shed (Fig. 2).