Ornate and Delhezi Bichirs at Petco Gig Harbor

FishBeast

Really surprised to find these little polys at our local Petco. Ornate was $60 and Del was $35.
Hope they get sold to a responsible keeper!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The Delhezi would probably do okay if the person had at least 55g but the ornate is in a size bracket that the average Petco shopper will probably not be able to handle. Baby ornates are pretty awesome looking too, so likely an uninformed fishkeeper will buy it. Kind of like one the the many stories of how people end up with Oscars, lol.

FishBeast

The Delhezi would probably do okay if the person had at least 55g but the ornate is in a size bracket that the average Petco shopper will probably not be able to handle. Baby ornates are pretty awesome looking too, so likely an uninformed fishkeeper will buy it. Kind of like one the the many stories of how people end up with Oscars, lol.
You're right... I'm just hoping the price will make the buyer think twice and research. Unless it's a kid who just finds the "little dragon fishy" too adorable and begs mom or dad!

Betty

Staff member
I hope they go to good homes.
I wonder how many fish sold for home aquariums will live a decent life in a nice tank. I've made my share of mistakes and diseases and accidents happen, but there are times I see some people buying fish and get this feeling that those fish won't last long at all.

FishBeast

I hope they go to good homes.
I wonder how many fish sold for home aquariums will live a decent life in a nice tank. I've made my share of mistakes and diseases and accidents happen, but there are times I see some people buying fish and get this feeling that those fish won't last long at all.
You’re right... they most likely will be bought on impulse. :( I hope whoever buys them at least does a little google search, certainly different now compared to back in the day when I had to rely on the fish store owner’s advice (usually pretty good but not always especially if he wanted a quick sale).

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
...there are times I see some people buying fish and get this feeling that those fish won't last long at all...

The PetSmart in Silverdale currently has several Tropheus duboisi juveniles in stock. With all those pretty little spots, they're almost irresistible. Nice addition to a community tank? Not so much. Sigh...

tropheus_duboisi__56576.1420199493.480.480.jpg