Opinions wanted: What should I feed my small Corydoras?

I've got fifteen 1/2 inch C. Adolfoi split across two 10 gallon tanks serving as quarantine / grow out tanks. Seeking advice about what to feed.

Presently I'm feeding AP Breed TDO (http://apbreed.com/product_tdo_chroma_boost.php), which I bought at Aquarium Zen. Steve swears by it, but I would like to vary it up a bit. Also, the pellets are small and tend to float all throughout the tanks unless I turn the filters off and use a feeder ring ... I can never be sure the cories actually eat all of it, certainly not in the "2-3 minutes" that they're supposed to. The pellets are tiny and do sink, but some take a long time, by which time they've spread throughout the tank.

This is a new batch of fish, but I've have some recent experience with these little guys. In November I bought a different batch of 12 small C. Adolfoi from Wet Spot. Since then 6 have died, one by one, of various maladies, but the first loss didn't occur for two months. (as a side note, I'm pretty sure Kanamycin is a death sentence for a sick cory) The ones that remain are now semi-adult and seem healthy, and I've been feeding them AP Breed for about a month (the bigger fish have no trouble locating and devouring the stuff...they love it). I wanted a large shoal of them, so I bought more babies when they just became available.

In the original batch I fed them Hikari wafers exclusively for the first 3 months -- a mix of the algae and meat lovers wafers. Big advantage there is the wafer drops to the bottom immediately, stays whole for a long time, and I can observe the fish find and munch on it in a group. But, I wonder if the wafers failed to provide the nutrients they needed to grow strong, which led to weakness/illness.

One thing I won't feed is live blood worms. I fed them to the last batch a few times, they loved them, but the first fish to fall mysteriously ill did so soon afterward. I don't have the discipline to keep up with washing them daily, etc.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Have you tried frozen blood worms instead of live? As well I will look into a brand of food I feed and see what the best one to feed would be. They have great foods.

flamechica

I feed mine frozen blood worms, HBH shrimp pellets (which sink within a few seconds), Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets and then I was putting algae wafers in for my pleco and they would eat those too, but I moved them to another tank without the pleco and stopped feeding them those. However, another conversation I had earlier this week, convinced me that I will put those back into the rotation again.

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Have you tried frozen blood worms instead of live? As well I will look into a brand of food I feed and see what the best one to feed would be. They have great foods.
I have tried frozen blood worms a few times. None of the fish have recognized it as food so I end up having to siphon it back out.

I appreciate all the suggestions; I'll be checking them out.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Southern Delight tropical pellets would work. And probably Paradigm Graze too which takes 24 hours to break down so its awesome for bottom feeders.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be feeding some live worms, like micro worms or cut up black worms or white worms if you can find em.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My Corys eat SD sinking veggie krill, Nano krill, tetra algae wafers, and the occasional flake food. They also like the treat of frozen blood worms anytime I give them to them