Opening a fish store

A

Anonymous

"In Washington You don't need glitz and glam like in the North East"

To say that people in Washington would not like something different and interactive is a bit ignorant, don't you think?

Thanks for your input.

Jacko

To throw in my few words of wisdom... and I mean very few, I'm hardly a fish store expert lol

I'd suggest against an on site breeding location unless you have an extremely large size store, you'll end up losing alot of floor space to fish that might not be producing alot for you (what with conditioning, raising fry and general fickle fish... sure the conditions might be right but what's to say that means they'll breed?)
I'd go with something more along the lines of wet spot/cichlid exchange... store front that looks great, lots of displays and knowledgeable people, but keep the dirty workings (the breeding setup is likely to take alot of your time) to a seperate facility, close by if possible so if somebody absolutely has to see the parents or wants to buy alot of some sort of fish.. you can simply go over there. When it comes to breeding fish alot of what I've seen is that is isn't how the tanks look that matters, it's how they're maintained. You won't have much time to spend making the tanks look pretty.
Trust me, I work about 20 hours a week and don't have much time to scrub algae or clean tank fronts, I'm spending most of my time helping customers or doing water changes to keep the tanks alive. And I'm only in charge of less than a hundred tanks, you're likely to have alot more. I also spend alot of free time in the store finishing what I didn't get done before.

Not to undercut the wholesalers but I'd suggest you get the larger quantity of your startup fish from either florida farms where their quality seems a bit higher or directly from importers, alot of rift lake cichlids I've seen from wholesalers have been... eh, subpar. This way you can get breeder stock cheaper and easier than having to raise your own from the 1-2 inch juvies available through wholesalers.

Gotta agree with cory on the fact that you can't just have cichlid experts, while your larger stock and clientel will be there for the cichlids, alot of people don't just stick to one thing... take Sandnuka for instance, he's got a ton of types of tropheus but he also does planted discus, so having employees that know about other topics is a bonus.
Another thing to keep in mind is that your employees will be surrounded by african cichlids and pick up on africans faster than the other subjects, so hiring employees with experience and expertice in other areas (planted, saltwater, community, SA/CA, etc.) would probably be smarter than hiring, say... Ad Konings (a bit far fetched but I hope the idea gets across)

A bit of what I want to see at your store, a larger stock of the schooling cichlids and the featherfins... I've wanted some paracyps forever but nowhere carries them, and when they have cyps they're never at a reasonable size.

PS... if you ever need a hand I'd be happy to help out at your store, even if it's just mopping floors or scrubbing tanks :lol:

A

Anonymous

I already hired Ad Konings, he'll be working the espresso bar.

Great ideas guys, keep 'em coming!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Spyral said:
"In Washington You don't need glitz and glam like in the North East"

To say that people in Washington would not like something different and interactive is a bit ignorant, don't you think?

Thanks for your input.
There's a difference in what I said, and what you're thinking. I said you don't need the glitz and glam of the north east to be successful. I'm sure people would appreciate it. I have no doubt, people would enjoy the aquarium fish super store, with burrito bar, espresso lounge, animal hospital, and dolphin dive.

The research on how many of those burrito buyers will buy a frontosa, or how many espresso lounge people will buy their first 10 gallon tank has yet to be seen.

Cross marketing is a complex thing, I have no doubt you'd attract people who would not normally frequent your store. However, that doesn't mean they'll actually buy anything. Lots of people love to take their kids to the "free zoo" spend 45 minutes in the store, generally causing mayhem. Moving fish tags, sticking their hands in aquariums etc.

I guess I'd equate the one stop aquarium shop, to a tank with 10 canister filters. Sure it's better. But after 3, each one after is redundant.

I can't imagine the management nightmares of an aquarium shop mixed with anything. You have to hire fish people, and baristas. You have to explain why your baristas get tipped $2 on a 6 dollar coffee, and your fish guy gets only his wage, on a $200 fish sale. You yourself, have to manage the spoilable goods on the espresso side, and the stock lists of fish. While dealing with an espresso that was made incorrectly, and customer #2's dead platy, that doesnt understand what an ammonia spike is.

Every store has their lure:
The fish store- coupons, every month, bribe them in.
A place for pets - discounts on tuesdays, cichlids, kevin's knowledge.
Conway - cichlid specialty, knowledge, personal service.
Petsmart- location, you cant drive 20 minutes without passing one.
Pet pourii - rare fish.
Chinatown stores - crazy cheap prices.
Aquarist world - Big show tanks, caters to larger fish
Bridges - Nice presentation, reptile kids room.
Clarks feed and seed - planted tanks/plant selection.

Rift Lake Cichlids- Espresso bar, Show tanks, Cichlid specialty.

I would visit your store for the cichlids, and the show tanks once. Show tanks I only need to see once, it's a decent bonus to check in on them again, when i go back.. But like the wetspot's fire eel tank. I dont have the feeling that I'm missing out by not going to see it this weekend. Also, I'm likely to go out to lunch before going fish shopping with buddies. There is a slight chance I would purchase a drink on the way out of your store.

Now, if your cichlids, wernt up to par, it would negate the other two aspects. In all reality, I end up going to 3-5 stores, when I go fish shopping. What guides my travel, is how likely I am to find a fish I'd like to purchase. If I strike out 10 times in a row, you fall pretty far down on the list, maybe check back in 3 months.

If I was you, i'd try to find some feasibility studies on aquariums in las vegas. Lots of places have them. When I was there a month ago, no one was huddled around even looking at them, and these were 10000 gallon tanks in bars, restaurants etc.

I think Jacko explained a fish store perfectly. There are lots of "that would be neat" ideas, that come up in the shop every single day. At the end of the day, you needed 2 more hours to get the manditory stuff done, and the fun neat idea stuff, time is never available for. As you've run businesses before, you know employee wage cost, will make or break your business. If there is time for people to sit around and setup stuff for fun, the bills will eventually go unpaid.

A good general rule for you, it costs a store 25 cents a gallon, each month to maintain itself. So one 10 gallon tanks costs you $2.50 a month , to rent the space, heat it, clean it, and have an employee there to sell out of it. This number doesn't really change whether you have 10 aquariums or 5000. Because the maintenance and employee ratio to take care of tanks remains the same.

IceBerg

Dream crusher!

Jesus Cory, what's with you and your logic? Dream crusher! :D

(Generally I avoid all post over 3 paragraphs like the plague. But Cory some how tricked me!)

A

Anonymous

In the end, I have the money to do whatever I want and that is pretty much what I am going to do..lol.

Doza

It would be sweet if you did a setup like at wetspot in portland.. I LOVE that store.. Their wholesaler sells on aquabid.. Fyi if you didnt know... You have to love that Huge 400 gallon african display tank they have at the front door..

if you were wise... One air pump that is plumbed to feed air to all the tanks to power sponge filters.. Dosent look the best having sponge filters in every tank but it gets the job done the cheapest way possible.. Will cut electricity bills down alot.. Have tanks back to back facing the rows and you could have you plumbing for the air behind the tanks.. That is what wetspot does... Uhh heaters i dont think is such a big deal... Everytime i go into that store it is hot as hell.. You have to think with a air pump going all the time.. All the people in the building and all the lights and the warm tanks... There will be allot of things producing heat that will help keep the inside warm thus keeping the need for heaters to kick on as often... :suspect:

I can only think of one wholesaler for washington.. and thats African North west.... Which that company is going down the shitter.. And i thought there was 2 wholesalers in oregon?