Online retailer: Ron’s Cichlids

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Im starting up another online retailer post but this is tailored for African cichlids from:

Been looking to add to my group of gold ocellatus but price and shipping were becoming an issue with individual fish cost getting up to $22 each and shipping upwards to $50 in some cases. It was going to cost me at least $100 to get a hold of three of these fish from online ordering! Then I found Ron’s Cichlids running a sale, 7+1 for $59 and with shipping was $116 so basically $14.50 per fish which I was okay with.

Screenshot 2021-10-29 081648.jpg
This will be my thoughts on the whole process and I will post pics too.

The website is easy to use and shipping is calculated for you right then and there. I played with the site earlier today and left and I got one of those email reminders about ‘completing your purchase’ that ‘things were left in your cart’, lol. A bit aggressive of a website for my taste but it is what it is.

Email confirmation came immediately after my order was placed. Since it was a late on Thursday evening order Im not expecting anything going out till at least Monday next week, but will see what tomorrow holds. Shipping cost was actually high when you consider this is 2nd day UPS and not next day. With Sand City Cichlids I paid almost the same for next day air.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So after I place my order, this morning I get this...
Screenshot 2021-10-29 081903.jpg

I am not spending another $40 to upgrade to next day air, if I were to do that I might as well order from a company Im already used to using like Sand City. Im going to email and ask if they use heat packs and then decide. To me this should have been disclosed BEFORE you paid.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
So after I place my order, this morning I get this...
View attachment 10388

I am not spending another $40 to upgrade to next day air, if I were to do that I might as well order from a company Im already used to using like Sand City. Im going to email and ask if they use heat packs and then decide. To me this should have been disclosed BEFORE you paid.
I'm not surprised to that you received this after ordering. I think it is good due diligence on their part. A heat pack isn't going to last 48hrs and fish coming from SC are possibly going to pass through some cold cities. It's risky but might work.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not surprised to that you received this after ordering. I think it is good due diligence on their part. A heat pack isn't going to last 48hrs and fish coming from SC are possibly going to pass through some cold cities. It's risky but might work.
Yeah, Im not sure how I will proceed... It was like $90+ to next day air. Im not willing to spend $150 for these fish so I will see what he says to my email.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I agree; 2-day shipping is risky, and I was surprised that it was even an option at this time of year. Certainly something I wouldn't have considered. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I agree; 2-day shipping is risky, and I was surprised that it was even an option at this time of year. Certainly something I wouldn't have considered. :(
Kind of my point. Most sites Ive dealt with would have had an alert on the web page to not give the option, then and there. The site allowed it because its an automated site. The shipping policy is vague as to when it is 'extreme' hot or cold and YOU are to then chose next day. As a consumer I just figured it was still okay to ship it this way if offered.

The email response back was a bit nasty in my opinion. I think there is something going on with another customer and he got me confused because he said 'I had been told when I talked to Sean'... I never talked to Sean or anyone it was all online.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So the algorithm used to determine shipping when you first purchase is different than when you actually deal with them in person.

Here is the quote for the additional shipping:
$13 for Next day air saver PM
$18 for Next day AM

This is under the $90+ that was in the automated shipping options.

I chose the AM and am waiting to hear back as to how I pay that.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting difference in price…. I wonder why the automated system is not calculating the same way that in person does.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Liked how the handled the additional payment. I get sent an email that shows the additional amount and a 'Pay now' option that takes you right back to the site to your original order with the additional amount need to complete order.

looks like this:

Screenshot 2021-10-29 114358.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So far I have to say the communication has been great with the emails back and forth. Still not sure what the issue with the whole 'talked to Sean already' thing was about. But I told him that and just moved along and it was never brought up again.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting difference in price…. I wonder why the automated system is not calculating the same way that in person does.
Not sure but sometimes those automated systems can figure based on number of fish or something to that effect and add all the additional shipping material and what not and they may not even ship them that way.

Ive also seen these algorithms work out in your favor with sites that give free shipping with a certain dollar amount purchased. I have had overweight packages not get charged the heavy weight fees and have ordered 50lb bags of sand/gravel for free because I met the dollar amount.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Fish were very well packed and a heat pack was in the box too. The fish were pretty much what was quoted with the 1/2" fish likely a bit smaller. I would say 3/8" more realistic on it. It did not make it, it was immediately killed going into the tank. The largest shellie caught it and bit it. It actually looked like it could have ate it if it wanted to. I had messed up the tank, added shells and rocks but still not enough to save that tiny thing.

Had one DOA but not going to worry about it because the company will credit fish only and if none of this batch survive then Im done buying these fish, will just keep the ones that survive and call it done.
IMG_20211102_115247671.jpg
another reason not caring about the DOA is because of the HUGE 'sample' of fish food given
IMG_20211102_114214813.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did a slow drip acclimation, 1/4" air tube water drip. I believe they are fine from that process but any losses are going to be purely aggression related. Turned off lights as I left and hope to have a few survive.
IMG_20211102_115328404.jpg