OK I need help with this one

Madness

Staff member
I purchased it at Midway Tropical Fish. I was looking for an HRP, and they had this. They told me that is the same fish but it is called a Blue Honduran. I have checked everywhere and can not find a Blue Honduran. It stays hidden in a cave most of the time. And Terrorizes my other HRP. To me, they don't even look the same.
The 1st and larger pic is the one in question. The 2nd pic is of my HRP.

Help,
Shawn
misc_p12.jpg

misc_p14.jpg

Mikey

Hmmm...they have some similar features, but I'm not familiar with those kinds of fish. Maybe one could be male, and one could be a female? The finage on the first one is longer and the second one's fins are a lot shorter...

Anyone have experience with these??

Madness

Staff member
Ya, the second pic is a beautiful sky blue with a black dot in the center of the body. While the first one is more the color of a convict w/the stripes. But the convict body and shape is not even close to the first pic. Here is a pic of one of my males. You can barely see the marble female that he has paired with.

Shawn
misc_p15.jpg

Kingstature

Convicts

Hondurans are very close to convicts with a few exceptions they are not as aggressive when breeding and thier mouths are a little rounder mouths, Hondurans do not get full color until after they become adults.. However what I think you have here depending on thier size is the hybrid of a Honduran and a Convict but if these are young and have not got thier full color yet then they very well could be HRP, Also if these are adults the HRP will lose its green or blue sheen during breeding and stressful situations...Hope this helps...
:king:

Madness

Staff member
No, that didn't help. LOL The blue one is about 2" with the other darker one at 2 1/2". The darker one has never had color. I have had it for about 2 months. The blue one I have had for about a year. I got it when it was about 1/2". It has always been light blue. I hear that they grow very slowly, but am not sure how big they get. Well, hopefully I can find out. I kind of think that the blue one is an HRP with the darker one being a hybrid convict/HRP. I don't know.

Shawn

Kingstature

Well not sure what will help you then as its hard to say yes that is a certain type of fish thru a photograph and not being there to observe its behavior. So my best guess is Exactly what you think HRP/Convict.. Good luck in your search for answers...