Off and On hobbiest getting more dedicated.

namru9

Hello all,

Looking forward to meeting and getting to know the haps. I've been and off and on freshwater hobbyist ever since I was a kid. A few years back, the wife wanted a tank, and I picked back up on it. Now after having an established 46 gallon bow front for the last 4 years, you can say I am dedicated to it. I don't have anything too fancy, but am slowly trying to evolve my tank. Currently I have a mix of 4 Black Neon, 5 standard neon, 5 Serpae tetras, 2 clown loaches, 2 Flying Fox, 1 Opal Gourami, 1 female Betta, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Otto cat(they don't seem to take to my tank), and 1 standard Plecostomus.

My next step is to transition from the fancy/pretty fake plants my wife liked to live plants. So I might be looking for recommendations on plant types to start with. I'm hoping as my PH levels tend to droop, that it might help balance the ecosystem better. That and I've also read that live plants along with a few good algae eaters will help ward off the amount green spot algae.

As sad as it is to say, I am in need of rehoming my Plecostomus though. He was one of the original fish in the tank after I cycled it. Unfortunately as much as I'm attached, he's outgrown my tank I believe as he is between 12-14'. My wife thinks I should just go to the local Petco/Petsmart to surrender him(her), but I wanted to put the word out here if there are better alternatives.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Welcome to the fishbox! Nice to have you here. Tons of plant people are here to help with the transition. I personally am still a plastic plant guy and focus on the fish instead.

Trying to rehome a big pleco is pretty difficult but not impossible. Might find someone who would want him here. Your next go round you could get a much smaller type like a bristle nose.

Madness

Staff member
I doubt Petco/Petsmart will take it, you would be better off if u cant find someone here, to take it to a local fish store, not the chain stores. Do you have a picture of the pleco, and where are you located?

namru9

Thank you for your advice, I'm in Redmond. I had planned on making a second post with pictures of my setup and fish. I just want to make sure he ends up somewhere big and happy, as I'm not able to upgrade my tank to suit him at this time.

A

Anonymous

Welcome to the forum namru9!
Dennys pet world in Kirkland is the closest LFS to you. They may take your pleco if they have room. I would defiantly call 1st. The only other LFS's are about 30+ minutes from you like in Burien (A place for pets) and north ( Bridges pet). These stores are known to take larger fish.

namru9

Thank you again for the advice, I know Denny's well as that is where my flying fox came from. He deserves a larger tank, I hope my 46 is suitable enough for now.

MRTom

Add another couple of closer LFS's with Sierra Fish & Pets in Renton and Maser's in Bothell. They might also do a pickup on a pleco in special cases.

Looking forward to some pictures of your setup :) (and of that pleco in the FS/FT section!)

namru9

MRTom said:
Looking forward to some pictures of your setup :) (and of that pleco in the FS/FT section!)

Oh yes, I just found the FS/FT section last night, once I get a picture that is more than just his tail end sticking out from his cave I will do that.

And the setup pictures will be soon, however they are not very impressive as I'm still trying to find my nitch.

namru9

Well here are a few pictures of some of my family.

Here is Opy the Opal Guarami. He's a little bigger than a silver dollar and almost the shyest of all brood.

Here is Ribbon(my wife named her that because she looks like a ribbon in the wind when she swims), my Black Knife Ghost. Little over an inch when I got her, and now about 8" total.

Bozo and Patches my clown loaches. These are my 2 favorite fish that would love more of. I had a massive snail outbreak, picked these up hoping they would keep it under control. Well they completely eradicated all snails, a good and bad thing as the snails did a great job on my GSA issues.

My school of Tetras, 3 Black Neons, 5 Standard Neons, and 5 Serpae Tetras.

Pete the Plecostomus, he will be missed when he goes. He is the only original fish left from when I first set this tank up 4+ years ago. Survived the 3 moves, and even the movers dropping the cooler on the last move.

Attachments

• Opy.jpg
    Opy.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Ribbon.jpg
    Ribbon.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 37
  • WP_000357.jpg
    WP_000357.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 37
  • WP_000353.jpg
    WP_000353.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 37
  • WP_000350.jpg
    WP_000350.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 37
A

Anonymous

MTS? Did someone say planted tank?

Why get rid of the fish? Since Tom brought up MTS I have the perfect solution. A planted 55 gallon for the gourami , tetras and small community fish. A 120 for the ghost knife, pleco, and loaches :) There, now you don't have to get rid of Pete, the ghost knife , or the loaches when they get to big...

I know - easier said than done :) I like the photos, thanks for sharing!!

namru9

I do plan to upgrade, just not sure when the Wife will give me buy-off on that idea though. I keep looking for deals that might assist in her giving me the go ahead, just never get to the ones I find soon enough. I do plan to add some beginner plants soon and see how they take. I hear Javas are the best/easiest for a noob to start with.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
You are at a tough upgrade point. Since you are dealing with a 46 gallon bow you really dont get a whole lot of benefit from the 50-55 gallon tanks you see flooding the market. Your upgrade will likely need to be a 75g or bigger. They do pop up on C-list but I have seen pretty decent deals on new ones with stands so you might want to consider going that route too. The reality is you knife and loaches would really like a much, much bigger tank...

A

Anonymous

You have good argument to upgrade. You've named the fish! Once you name something they are a part of the family. Look up your fishes profiles and read what they say about tank sizes to the wife.

With luck the wife will agree. LOL, I am a bad influence :)

namru9

Yes, I knew the tank size I needed and wanted when I picked the fish. Sadly, just like my puppies, they grew faster than I expected and before I was ready to upgrade. Life and responsibilities get in the way of my hobbies sometimes.

I was hoping to go the route of 100g for moving my freshwater, and converting the 46g to Salt for a new adventure(plus the wife really wants a Nemo).