OB Peacock

Addictedtofish

Ive had a female peacock holding in my peacock/mbuna tank for a two or three days that I know of. So I decided to setup my spare 30 gal I had bare bottom to move her too so she could release them, so I got it all setup yestarday evening and about a half hour ago I went in the check on her and found 13 so far free swimming fry and she still has a mouth full.

Question I have since she still has some in her mouth are they ones that are still not developed enough or....?

Spyral

Most likely just more fry. scoop out the free swimmers and the mother. She will spit the rest then you can return her to the tank andn you ca start raising your fry!

Addictedtofish

Yea I moved the mom into the tank last night and now there is 13 free swimmer in the tank and her mouth is still full. Thats a pretty good mom for her first spawn even after me chasing her around in the community tank till I caught her to still have that many survive.

icer711

good luck... it really means that she has been hiding it very well for about 14day min especially if she coughed a few up..... get what you can but if you have lots of hiding spots the lil-ones might have a good chance of making it :).... let us all know how it goes i love raising fry i find it the funnest most fulfilling part :D

Addictedtofish

Thats the sad thing, I really need to get a better camera/camcorder. The one I have is a mini dvd recorder and I cant for the life of me figure out how to seperate the pics from the recordings, and most software ive tried dont recognize the file type associated with the camera files.

icer711

If it has a flash card (ie sd cf memory stick like the ones for digital cameras) fet a card reader easyiest way to get them off

icer711

Ah its one of those :( they got u by the **** then wait till end of nov there will be some awesom sales and they will be practily be giving away dig cameras

me

Your best bet would be to take a still shot from your computer I think. Ifin your computer can do that. Allot of the new systems these days have a "Take Screen Shot" function.

Addictedtofish

I also have another female blue regal peacock now holding, but im going to wait another week before I strip her this time instead of let her be in the fry tank and spit. The last time I did this after 4 days I checked on her and the fry and only 2 out of 18 were left after she decided to eat them.

icer711

Addictedtofish said:
I also have another female blue regal peacock now holding, but im going to wait another week before I strip her this time instead of let her be in the fry tank and spit. The last time I did this after 4 days I checked on her and the fry and only 2 out of 18 were left after she decided to eat them.
i had that happen once to me now as soon as there all out and i know she has eaten i now float her in a plastic breeder box till i know she has got most of her strength and a full stomach before returning her to the rest of the group (about a week)

and i believe me was referring to a web cam or a built in one for a laptop

me

Addictedtofish said:
You mean use the webcam on the computer to take a still shot? otherwise I dont follow.
Nah, I meant upload the video to your computer (if possible) then take a screen shot as you watch it, then crop or whatever as necessary..... or couldn't you put the lil dvd in your drive and play it and do it that way?

sandnuka

Ive had too many of my mothers eat there young, or swallow them... I always strip now, its just easier to keep the fry together as well.... I hate trying to collect them out of hiding spots.

me

I like letting them hold in bare 10 - 20 gallon tanks, but with all the fish I have now + limited space.. I have to strip. Plus it is a given if you strip successfully you're gonna get more fry.