Nitrates!

Stingro

Does anyone actually keep tanks 150 gallons and up with nitrate levels at zero?

Only my smaller tanks will maintain ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels at 0 but not the bigger tanks. Nitrates are always 40-80 ppm even with some plants added. The fish never shows signs of effect from the nitrates though.

What is the best media for Nitrates and please let me know your personal experience.

thanks,

Orthopod

Does anyone actually keep tanks 150 gallons and up with nitrate levels at zero?

Only my smaller tanks will maintain ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels at 0 but not the bigger tanks. Nitrates are always 40-80 ppm even with some plants added. The fish never shows signs of effect from the nitrates though.

What is the best media for Nitrates and please let me know your personal experience.

thanks,
Yep - I run ultima 2000s out of sumps- have to keep them like that for rays. 1 tank 450 with a total system of 605 gallons and the other is a 390 with 75 gallon sump into ultima.

Modest_Man

A properly cycled tank should always have some noticeable amount of nitrates. In my 400 gallon I run K2 media in my sump and my nitrates are around 10ppm.

Check your tap water as well, I have lived in places that had 20ppm out of the tap.

Orthopod

I
A properly cycled tank should always have some noticeable amount of nitrates. In my 400 gallon I run K2 media in my sump and my nitrates are around 10ppm. I’m on well water that runs through a filtration device before it gets into the house.

Check your tap water as well, I have lived in places that had 20ppm out of the tap.
I have 10 smaller K1 reactors going In The big tank as well. It runs at just about 0 if I don't measure after a big feed.

Last edited:

Stingro

I run seachem matrix, ceramic rings, moving bed media and a slow flow with plants. Ammonia and Nitrite are always at 0 but not nitrate.

Anybody else recommend any other media for nitrate?

Thanks guys!