Nimbochromis livingstonii

Addictedtofish

Nimbochromis livingstonii

Anyone have experience with these cool fish? I bought a trio tonight and want to breed them in the near future.

Re: Nimbochromis livingstonii

lol , yep , i have several livingstonis , i have a 10 incher that is so bueatiful , they breed good in a 180 full of coral and rock with multyiple other fish from there territory..

larry.beck

Addicted - just don't keep those guys in a tank with any juvies, as they are wonderful at "playing dead" to get the small fish to come and try to pick at them, at which point they'll jump up and swallow them whole. Very unusual characteristic for a rift lake cichlid. If you haven't seen this behavior search for them on youtube, there are some great videos out there and it's amazing to watch.

lol , yes i know ,, lol ,, my livingstonis r pretty big and as soon as they act weird my big fish start picking so they never play dead or they might end up dead for real ..lol .. its funny case i actually had a flameback get swallowed by a stoni and for some reason spit it out ..... i laughed for so long , and now the flameback and stoni r best of friends .. plus i feed 4 times a day ... u know all fish r big pigs ...

Betty

Staff member

Do you have any pictures of yours Addicted? I think the Nimbochromis are really cool fish. I have a couple of polystigmas. One of them has done the playing dead game and I was completely fooled. I had the net out to scoop up the body and it sure was a surprise when it darted off. :shock:

lol , up in the top picks , u cant tell the stonis from the venestus but there there ,, lol .. ill try to get better pics later

Betty

Staff member

I did see those, endangered. I meant Addictedtofish's new trio. ;)

stierwalt3

BTW i was checking these guys out a Bridge's today very cool looking fish! The youtube videos of them playing dead are great!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

endangered cichlids said:
lol , yep , i have several livingstonis , i have a 10 incher that is so bueatiful , they breed good in a 180 full of coral and rock with multyiple other fish from there territory..

if you are referring to the greenish yellow fish with black in your pictures I'm pretty sure that's a Venustus. not a livingstonii. Livingstonii's are very similar but are silver and black. The picture I saw was a female Venustus.

middle pic is male venestus around 10 inches and is 7 yrs old , bottom pic on left livingstoni , shorty , i know my fish , most fish for that matter , ive owned a fish store and have around 2300 cichlids as we txt ..