New to the dance of the plants

oakleykp

New to the whole planted tank thing so figured I might as well introduce myself! My current setup is a 6 gallon fluval edge with custom CREE XML lighting and a drip system install in the process. I currently have 5 red cherry shrimp, 6 amano shrimp, 2 thai micro crabs ( havent seen them since introducing them) and miscellaneous endler guppy fry. Plan to introduce C02 within the next week or so.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, that's a unique setup for sure. Yeah red cherries will look nice in there when they are out front against that back.

oakleykp

Thanks! I should have a c02 setup up and running by the end of the night and am stoked for that! I also cant wait until I have a little rcs colony

Paintguy

I really got into the plants for a bit. Awesome to see them pearling in the sunlight and my anubias blooming, but eventually both my tanks got dark green hair algae that covered everything but the sword plant.

oakleykp

I really got into the plants for a bit. Awesome to see them pearling in the sunlight and my anubias blooming, but eventually both my tanks got dark green hair algae that covered everything but the sword plant.
That is the one thing I fear most *shudders* algae... I have had the tank running for about 3 or 4 months now without big algae problems. An outbreak here and there but not to bad. Im hoping the addition of c02 will help the plants outcompete the algae.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Algae is good for the soul! Winning an algae outbreak just plain feels good. It's a test of patience and dedication.

Ali

I have a pretty good algae crew, that takes care of most of my fears. Ottos and a pair of SAEs, my fear is not having enough for them and the ottos starving, last time I had some they died when the algae ran out. Didn't like wafers of veggies.

oakleykp

I have a pretty good algae crew, that takes care of most of my fears. Ottos and a pair of SAEs, my fear is not having enough for them and the ottos starving, last time I had some they died when the algae ran out. Didn't like wafers of veggies.
Maybe I will have to get a pretty good algae crew going! All my "creatures" seem to love wafers. Its kinda nice not having to worry about bioload or water changes with the drip system going.