new tank to replace the 180

L190

I scored a 260 gallon tank with a 150 gallon sump for a reasonable price. It will replace the 180 once I build a stand and figure the plumbing. I'll probably ask for lots of advice setting up this tank since it was a saltwater tank and the plumbing looks very complicated.
The plan for this tank is to have it a pleco tank and splitting the sump up so I can have an efficient filter as well as a section to keep a puffer.

IMG_20151229_152913.jpg IMG_20151229_152928.jpg IMG_20151229_152917.jpg

dleblanc

What are your dimensions? That's a great find! Water changes are going to be some fun with 400 gallons total.

L190

@dleblanc I already now about the 400+ gallon water change, I already have a 450. the tank is 84"l x 30"w x 24"h. the bottom of the tank has 5 holes, I think I will use one of the holes with 2 valves for wc. this way I won't need a pump to do wc.

dleblanc

Wow, that's really nice! I'm on a well, and have to deal with RO/DI, so I can only make about 200 gpd. I'd love to have a tank that size, but would need another RO/DI to be able to make the water.

L190

Dang, i was looking at ro/di but heard they are pretty wasteful. How many gallons of waste do you deal with?

popss

I have thought about running black water fish, but while I am dedicated to my fish, running a black water tank is further than I want to go.

dleblanc

Most of them run about 2 gallons waste to 1 gallon produced. I'm not especially concerned about that, being on a well. It means the pump runs about 30 minutes a day more than it otherwise would. What does get expensive is the chemicals needed to bring the water back up to something you'd want to use. You can get a 1:1 ratio unit, but those are a _lot_ more per unit.

L190

I can't believe it has been almost a year since I first got this tank and I just now finished putting it together.I lost motivation to do so since I had to design the filter, stand and do the plumbing. there are some things I need to do to finish it, like make some lids for it and bend conduit pipe to make light hangers.

P_20161130_190150.jpg

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I can't believe it has been almost a year since I first got this tank and I just now finished putting it together.I lost motivation to do so since I had to design the filter, stand and do the plumbing. there are some things I need to do to finish it, like make some lids for it and bend conduit pipe to make light hangers.

View attachment 3245

I totally get it. I'm an "instant gratification person" myself. It's going to be torture setting up a tank for shrimp and not having anything in it for weeks...and weeks....LOL

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I totally get it. I'm an "instant gratification person" myself. It's going to be torture setting up a tank for shrimp and not having anything in it for weeks...and weeks....LOL

The torture begins on Saturday.

LOL

FishBeast

The torture begins on Saturday.

LOL
Hi @VickiK! You can kickstart the cycle in your new tank using "aged" water from an old aquarium! Whenever I need to start a new tank, I save water from my "mother tank" during a water change and use that. The mother tank has hardy miscellaneous fish in it that are good poopers. I also keep extra sponge filters in it that are ready to be plopped into the new tank. Enjoy! :)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hi @VickiK! You can kickstart the cycle in your new tank using "aged" water from an old aquarium! Whenever I need to start a new tank, I save water from my "mother tank" during a water change and use that. The mother tank has hardy miscellaneous fish in it that are good poopers. I also keep extra sponge filters in it that are ready to be plopped into the new tank. Enjoy! :)

Yes! I'm ahead of you there. I've already planned to cannibalize good bacteria and water from my other tanks!

Of course, the tank itself has to show up. When Amazon started using the US Postal Service for my prime stuff, I wanted to shove hot forks into my eyes. I hate the United States Postal Service (no offense to mail-persons intended). So now, I have to wait until TOMORROW to stand in the long line to get it from my local hub which usually has about two people working during the holiday season. PLANNING! They are excellent at STAFF PLANNING!

*the wait is killing me*