New tank stand build up for the man cave - updated 1/3

Racersk

I need to keep track of this one so I can remember how much of a pain it is to move big tanks! o_O

The tank count is one 125G 6' tank and x2 40G breeder sized tanks. This is a bigger setup than is'normal' as I have a 50G sump right now for the 125g and a TON of plant life sucking Nitrate/Nitrite in the setup.

Here is the start...
101_3754.JPG

On the right I have a 40 breeder planted tank. It is going up high, like 5' in the air; above the main 125G tank (left). The empty one above the 40 breeder is a 1/2 40G for turtles. It will be next to it and will be my main planter for the Potho's draped all over everything in the pic. The planted tank will remain planted and will house the albino channel cat and fancy goldy that can't go into the big tank.

Now the 50g sump sits under the metal stand that currently (barely) supports the 125. This will be inserted under the new stand.

Here is the start of it...
20170906_194428.jpg

Basically a box on the bottom, with the 50G sump dropped into it on the floor, sitting on some foam for heat retention(cement floor).

A box in the middle that holds up the 125G- so heavily reinforced.

Then a box on top of the stand, I will have the 40 breeder that will overflow into the 1/2 40G (pothos sump)that overflows into the 125G. The 125G will then overflow to the sump.

The return will be fully into the 40 breeder and the Pothos sump-I might spread between the 2 to slow the return water flow into the 1st 40 Breeder.

Sounds complicated, but I have been planning this for a few years now. Just time to make it happen. $90 in materials so far, 2x4s 8 and 10 foot long, screws and liquid nails, nothing special yet.

Racersk

20170907_213504.jpg

Not much accomplished but the setting of my heights. I have one half set and will work on the other side next. Then I will start to add in the braces. :thumbsup

Hard to tell, but this is going to be built to hold some weight!:wink

Capture.JPG
I also found a couple locals with 50-55g tanks to make a new sump out of. I would rather make it, give it a week to let the silicone dry , then start passing water through it. I plan on getting new media too- I have been dealing with an anchor worm issue for a few weeks now, so time to change the media up! New house- new filter- no substrate! I can smell the ammonia spikes now!

Last edited:

Racersk

Made progress today. The basic frame is done. As is the purchase of the new sump tank- I got the Craigslist tank above.

I took some photos to wrap it up for tonight, enjoy...(besides- I had to stop due to a dead battery in my impact driver for the screws..:thumbsup)

The Turtle tank is on top for the pics. I might set up a temporary tupperware home for the other 40 breeder to start taking it down. this next week, so I can get it ready as well. Time to get some glass panes cut and start siliconing the sump up!20170909_215548.jpg 20170909_215919.jpg 20170909_215958.jpg 20170909_220026.jpg

Racersk

And started the sump. The design was due to nothing other than a busted tape measure....I told the guy that I needdd 11 15/16" but really only needed 11 3/4".... oh well, it will make for an interesting story when I open the sump doors. Besides, I can't return them, they can't take that little off, and I don't have the heart to tell him I screwed up...(he went through at least 10 additional pieces that broke out chunks...)

The bottom fitting is designed to hold my mesh filter. Next stage will be designed to hold poly mat. Middle area will be for the scrubbies I just ordered. Then the heater stage at the end, plus the pump area.

20170910_185705.jpg 1505095941279351677332.jpg

Racersk

Updated.
So I have a spare pane of glass as it sits drying. Other than doubling up the last sump section to avoid damage from the weight of the other half of the sump. Can you add any other baffle ideas? Am I on the right track(watch video)

My last sump end panel cracked due to the stress over time.

Below explains my fluid dynamics...20170911_195148.jpg 20170911_195303.jpg 20170911_195335.jpg

Racersk

Mr. Grumpy Gourami is adorable haha... Great build! I await the end result :)
Grumpy is grumpy for a few reasons... The knife picks on him/her. I don't feed him/her near as much as he/she would like and he/she has a bad case of anchor worms! :poo:mad::poo

One of the several reasons for this build. And new sump!

Racersk

One order of scrubbies, $20 so far(pn-included). Thinking x2 more orders.
Cheap n easy!

Wish the pump was. $108 from a LFS in Renton...new and 1056gpm @ 1ft. Roughly 800 in my system,will split as needed and throttle if needed.

20170912_215816.jpg 20170912_215838.jpg 20170912_215826.jpg Screenshot_20170912-220043.png

Last edited:

Racersk

I have been slowly working on the Man cave tank stand.

I just picked up the rest of the scrubbies today after being promised the order 3 days ago...whatever. So the sump is officially done. I picked up an Aquatop 1056gph pump to run the system, should be enough for my calculated 180 gallons less the sump. I just set the sump up for today's extra special water change.

I took my 40G breeder out of its stand that used to have a 75G above it. I put it on top and took the new pump install it into the new sump. and voila! SUPER SUMP for a 40 breeder! What better opportunity to seed the new filter, right?! It has been sitting and curing for a week. ;)

I have everything set up now so I can get to the electrical that was behind this tank that I want to relocate. ONLY TEMPORARY!!! And amazingly the 40 breeder cleared up only minutes after I cleaned the glass!
20170918_210920.jpg
20170918_195204.jpg
20170918_195133.jpg

The stand. LOOKS AWESOME!! :thumbsup

I went with a dark stain and it looks great! Far from done though. I ran out of stain and have a few more spots to touch up, but got the stain tonight with my scrubbies, but ran outa time with the other stuff... Still have to final sand and final coat it too, skin it, wire and plumb it, but it's getting there.

Pic!
20170918_213221.jpg

Left to do-
-Move the electrical from behind the tank to the right, next to the water heater and the furnace that I can not move. I will most likely pull the wire that feeds the outlet and drywall the hole, it will be seen behind the tank when installed.

-Finish the stand, at least stained and sanded on the upper portion. I will close up and insulate the back of the sump area and probably the sides too. The front can wait for the tank install.

-clean up and decorate the wall behind where the tank will go. It is a garage wall after all...

-Move the 125G to the new stand and move the new stand in place. this will be a 4 man ordeal me thinks...I can't fully empty the tank unless I remove its inhabitants...To remove them will be an EPIC undertaking to do!

I might crack open that new can of stain and a beer and finish up that last little bit of staining tonight... I might just open the beer and look at it all instead...lol :confused::lol:zzz

Racersk

Stand is stained, still need to final sand the upper parts and apply the second coat to all the places you will be viewing when done. Looks great, but smells bad in the enclosed garage...Momma ain't happy(lovely wife), but I am standing firm- pressing on!

On the sump note, plainly it is under performing. I came home to water on the ground. not sure where, but I drained and elevated it today to see if I can spot the issue. Along with that- it still must be offgassing because I lost one fish in the 40 breeder starter tank and the other is recovering- hopefully. No reading of anything in high enough doses- other than the PH- but I never checked the original setup's PH.
20170920_194728.jpg

Like I said, the sump is under performing as well. the filter sock isn't high enough- the water goes over the bulkhead and not allowing it and the filter floss to do it's job without overflowing into the media chamber; over the top instead of under and through the media. I might blow the bulkheads all apart and redo the partitions- and taking what I see and apply it to a different design....And possibly resealing the whole damn second hand tank!

Racersk

After some Youtubing and going through the remaining equipment and decided I needed to simplify the setup! Still using the sump 50G CL tank, I let it run as it was-but up on blocks- no water under it, so the water I saw 'leaking' was splashing out or something, its not coming from the tank. Good news!

I picked up a DIY 'flower bed box' overhead filter from Doris @ Sierra Fish N Pets, it uses a base of river stone, with x3 baskets of suspended sand, with filter floss laid over the top with a spraybar over that. Nice pond setup and simple.
Well I am going to repurpose it. Using this above the 50G sump, as it fits PERFECTLY right into the top of the tank, nice and high, but only an inch above the sump. I will plug the holes in it and put a grid of holes in the bottom. This will rain over the pot scrubbies I bought that will be suspended about an inch above the floor of the sump. I left one bulkhead in place in the sump that flows water from the bottom- this will serve as the holder for the pot scrubbies, so I can hold pretty much all of the scrubbies I bought plus the seasoned ones from the 40G breeder too!
The bottom of the flower box isn't drilled in the pics, just all set up so I can visualize it all prior to committing to the design.

The scrubbies on the left are what I took out- the other half of them is in a pic off pic.
20170922_211739.jpg
left is one of the 3 sand baskets, the filter will be a layer of scrubbies on end, then the sand basket and floss above that. The hose above is the secondary overflow in case the 1st gets clogged or is insufficient.
20170922_211817.jpg

Plumbing shot.20170922_211827.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
My daughter gave him/her to me on my Birthday 5 years ago...hates everuthing but food. The Knife tolerates him/her...as close to Al and Peggy Bundy as fish can get! :ninja:coffee

Awww! I've a soft spot for Oscars. I kept them in the 80's. When I put my hand in the tank, they'd rub against it. I know. Petting fish - not a good idea - but it was pretty awesome.

Racersk

I know right? This is an amazing thread. I wish I understood everything completely.... Newbie-itis.

All you have to know is that the only solution for pollution is dilution. Meaning the bigger the tank and sump the less you have to do water changes. Especially if you keep your fish load low. At this point I've got five fish. Three big ones and a couple of small ones. I also plan on doing an auto top off in this sump.

The plant life I plan to include will reduce nitrates. The only practical other way to reduce nitrates is to water change.