New line of beautiful hybrids coming out of Florida

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
09773432-DD13-4087-9C28-7A7C4826B3E8.jpeg 1BDF6542-84A9-4191-A906-56E6629502B4.jpeg DC9BA089-AD44-4DD0-8196-418659CE3402.jpeg 9C3C6937-CACF-45D8-A232-65B21DC1059A.jpeg 20EFCD5A-E582-46E1-8717-30724F9F3AED.jpeg So I have been following this project for a while now and thought I would share since I’m in awe of the colors and markings.

anyone who knows me knows that I have always dabbled in hybrids ( but I won’t dedicate more than one tank to try them... think flowerhorn, super red Texas, and currently a dovii X Jag hybrid).

the creator of this line is a fish buddy I met on Facebook named Thomas Thompson and I met him a couple years back when he started breeding red Dovii for Max cichlids from his private fish farm.

this line he is currently working on is , from what I can tell, a linebred mix of golden Jaguar cichlids mixed with either a fader flowerhorn or maybe a red Texas.
He just started selling them and the prices aren’t for the faint of heart, but they are in line with nice flowerhorns...

I think what actually got me interested in following them was the name he Gave his line , “chupacabra”. Haha check out the pics of some of the recent males he had sold ( he only sells males).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Savvy businessman, just selling males so he is the sole supplier... unless they cross with a regular jag female and you can get a percentage of these as offspring.

They do look cool!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Savvy businessman, just selling males so he is the sole supplier... unless they cross with a regular jag female and you can get a percentage of these as offspring.

They do look cool!
Yes, and he’s still trying to stabilize the pearling from blending together . I’m guessing the ones in the pics above are sold because they aren’t in his long term breeding plans. But there are a couple of nice one I’ve seen.
I’d love a deep red jag patterned and shaped fish

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wonder if they get the hunch back like with regular jags when they get older?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Wonder if they get the hunch back like with regular jags when they get older?
It will be interesting, he said based on growth rate he expects them to max out between 10-11”, I’m guessing if that’s true they wouldn’t develop the hump since the ones with the hump have always been in the 14” range ( from what I’ve seen). Though of course it all plays out in genetics. I’m guessing he will cull any that develop that trait since he is charging a premium for them.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...Savvy businessman, just selling males so he is the sole supplier... unless they cross with a regular jag female and you can get a percentage of these as offspring...

Exactly. If you have a hybrid male and are willing to keep careful records, relatively simple backcrosses to a female of the appropriate parental species will allow you to propagate the hybrid phenotype. Sure, the originator of the strain (or line, or whatever you want to call it) has a lead, but not an insurmountable one. What he's doing by selling only males is ensuring that casual hobbyists can't become competition, at least in the short term. A more generous explanation would be that he's trying to maintain the integrity of the line, if there is such a thing in man-made hybrids.