New here - Tank Showoff

tazeat

Hello,

I've had tanks for a couple years, stumbled upon this place, mostly from being linked from aquarium coop...

Planted tanks are relatively new to me, but I've learned enough to do OK I think.

Here is my large acrylic 55g:
ballroom.jpg

Equipment:
Finnex Planted+ 48"
Fluval 306
Jager 200w
Hydor and Sicce powerheads
20lb CO2 + UP Regulator (soon to be replaced so I can throw the needle valve on this thing out the window, building my own this time)

Fish stock:
Misc Snails
Albino and Black BN Plecos (see Mr Bristles below)
Common Pleco
Giant Danios
Pearl Danios
Siamese Algae Eaters
Halequin Rasboras - purple and regular
Neon Green Rasboras - aka Frank Food
and
Frank the Pictus Catfish

Frank is probably my favorite fish, I've had him for a couple years, his older larger Pictus he used to be kept with jumped out of an older smaller tank I had and I was left with just him... Frank has eaten: Countless shrimp (Ghost mostly, but he did take out a couple amano shrimp before I moved htem), neon tetras (won't last a day without losing one or two), and apparently Neon Green Rasboras as I've recently learned. He likes the bright colored fish.
frank.jpg

Pleco, he seems to like it back there instead of in the T-Rex head now, but he'll come out and go around the tank walls and eat his algae wafers at night:
pleco.jpg

Mr Bristles, bristles so long they Y off like large antlers on a buck:
bristles.jpg

Plant stock:
Anubia Hastifolia
Crypt Lucens
Crypt Lutea
Grandifolius Swords
Duckweed
Ludgwigia
Jungle Val
Misc?

Came a long way from this when I first got the tank:
old.jpg

Dining room tank (newer):
diningroom.jpg

Equipment:
Aqueon 29G Tank + Versatop
Finnex Planted+ 30"
Eco Complete + black Petco sand
Fluval 206 - new
Marineland HOB - will be removed once the fluval cycles
Jager 100w
Yeast CO2 (will go pressurized soon, see 20lb tank on side of tank waiting for new regulator)

Fish Stock:
Amano shrimp
Misc snails
BN Plecos, 1 albino, 1 black
Neon Tetras
Male Guppies Assorted

Plant Stock:
Java Fern
Needle Swords
Crypt Lutea
Staurogyne Repens
Ludwigia

Also not displayed are my 2 10g I use as breeder tanks for guppies and have been less intentionally used for BN plecos.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Very nice pictures! Thanks for sharing. Love the pleco!

A

Anonymous

WOW , look at that RED substrate!! It just yells 'BAM' from what I am used to seeing. But, it actually looks really good with the live green plants contrasting. Thumbs up on that!

Thanks for sharing your tanks. You've done really well, they look nice! Love the Bristlenosed pleco picture. He's a beast.

MRTom

Second the red substrate! Looks original and matches better than expected once the plants grow in. Reminds me that the floor is lava!

tazeat

Thanks I'm pretty happy with it. I went red when I Just really wanted something different. I had a white and green rock mix in the tank the 55g replaced and it just looked boring so I went bright this time.

tazeat

Damn plants ruining my shot.

frank2.jpg

Put some frozen beef heart in the tank yesterday, he goes NUTS over it.

tazeat

What a difference shooting from a Canon T3 DSLR vs my little Canon ELPH 300HS I was using before. Different tools for different purposes of course, the ELPH disappears in a small cargo pocket. Not sayings it's an amazing shot or anything, but at least now you can see it better...

fulltank.jpg

Pretty low maintenance tank, haven't even really trimmed anything, flakes are auto-dispensed, so I just add algae wafers and fertilizers every other day or so. Water change every 1-2 weeks, literally run the hose out the window and water all my plants outside with it. The Ludwigia is getting out of control. One new leaf on the anubias hastifolia. Otherwise just normal growth. SAEs are the best thing I ever added though, black hair algae has been decimated.

Mr Bristles again
mrbristles.jpg

namru9

Very nice, I'm hoping to get into live plants soon. I just hope my start looks as clean as you.

MRTom

Mr Bristles scares me and makes my day all at the same time! Great shots! And congrats on the new toy!

KaraWolf

sweet!!! Some really cool pictures. And I'm going to uber cheer on the neon red gravel <3 A 30 I'm trying to stock upstairs is the neon queen of neon. Everything is purple. and I mixed 1 part black gravel with 2 parts neon purple gravel <3 that first picture of it looks so emptyyyyyy 0.o and then all the plants of awesome. great job with the tanks.