New Cichlid tank setup

Update. This tank has sprung a leak!!!!!! Looks like a corner seal has given up its function and seeping water at a slow rate. I'm going to install some bracing to see if I can stop it until I come up with a replacement tank for the inhabitants.

Dennis

Betty

Staff member
Did you get it to stop?

I worry about leaks or a catastrophic blowout all the time! My oldest tank is a 33 year old 55 gallon.

The leak has stopped after the water leaked down to about 3/4 full. I've made a brace to squeeze the corner a bit to attempt controlling the leak until I get a place cleared for a 55G. Not sure of brand/make/age. The glass is 1/2" thick, it has no center brace like the new 75 Gallon tanks I've seen recently. We got this tank from Paul Wallace a few years ago, and not sure how long he had it. It's pretty old I'm sure. But not something I can't fix. The top frame has been broken since we've had it, and I'm thinking that may have led to the seal failure. I've been thinking about building a stainless steel frame to install on the top to keep it all squeezed together in the future.

Dennis