Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodil Cichlid"

GilbertonFisher

Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodil Cichlid"

So I bought some of these little buggers for a species tank I'm setting up and I thought i had researched them really well. Guess I didn't because I didn't really want to end up with a fish explosion.

They are currently ~1" questions:

1) how fast do they mature? Will I have time to find homes for the extras before spawning occurs and domestic abuse runs rampant?

2) I understand the parents 'raise' the fry until they can 'take care of themselves' but will the fry require any extra maintenance from me?

3) No, they haven't spawned yet, but from what I'm reading online in forums is that they breed easily and in quantity. Is there a way I can prevent them from reproducing? Other than only having females. Overcrowding maybe?

Any help would be great!!

Addictedtofish

Re: Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodil Cichlid"

Im pretty sure by what I have read about them, that there not much different besides coloring of a Brichardi. I use to breed Brichardi's and found out the hard way the only way you can keep multiples in the tank is by buying like 6 of them and waiting for them to pair off. After they have paired off you will want to find a new home for the remainder 4 because the others will be killed off in a short time. After they have paired off they can start reproducing by 2" and will keep reproducing every 2 weeks, and you can keep multiple generations in the same tank until there old enough to start to reproduce. They will only produce so many new fry to tank size and may eat new fry to make room for new batch.

Anthraxx

heres a pic of my brichardi setup. all but 3 were ejected. so far it looks like i may end up with a colony. who knows. i can only hope. GL with urs mine enjoy a nice diet high in protein and color enhancers. working well to develop a nice mask on the "male" i just tossed up my breeder net from the livebearers theasco and put unwanteds in there. helps them not to get trashed before you attempt to sell them. gl to ya and hopefully they breed for you.

016-1.jpg

Anthraxx

gonna post pics of your fish? :p id love to see how they look :shock:

Anthraxx

i see. that fancy phone of urs cant post pics? well it could if u had the internet :(