Neolamprologus Brichardi's Fry

Addictedtofish

Finally got some fish to start spawning and so far I see 7 free swimming fry. I will try and get some footage in the next day or so of the tank and fry. I have 3 adult brichardi's in with my tropheus duboisi's.

Fern

Very nice! I knew you would get fry soon! Once mine started breeding there was no stopping them. I probably have 100+ fry in my 75g with them now

Fern

Just give me a good heads up! They are going to be sooooo much fun to catch in their heavily planted 75g :lol!:

Addictedtofish

I have 4 fry that have survived so far in a week out of 12. I also experienced my other female on the tank going through spawning yesterday and ended up having 8 eggs stuck to the back of the tank. So we will see how many of those survive. Anyone have experience with still camcorder/camera's? The one I have is only like 2 yrs old and barely have used it, the problem I have is its a mini disc dvd recorder and stores both pics and video on the same disc and I dont know how to seperate them.

Fern

Plant the tank! Make it a jungle and you will get many fry! Let me know if you need some cheap plants for them! I have cheap plants that grow like mad and I also have well priced pretty nice plants.
I have hundreds of fry in my brichardi 75g.....

sandnuka

thoughs are the breeders you got from vince??? they are awesome, always breeding huge clutches... have fun with them.

Addictedtofish

sandnuka said:
thoughs are the breeders you got from vince??? they are awesome, always breeding huge clutches... have fun with them.
Yes those are from Vince Im working on seeing if my other 3 brichardi's will start spawning soon, bad news is I went to move those 3 into another tank and one of the females decided to dart into a shell and couldnt get out, long story short I had to abuse the poor female by throwing the shell on the ground about 4 times to get it to break to be able to get her out. Luckily she is still breathing and occasionally moving around but still pretty tramatized. :(

Fern

Ouch!
Mine don't have shells just random rocks and plants, they make caves under the rocks and breed like rabbits that way.

sandnuka

addictedtofish, probably would have done less damage to the fish if you wouldve used a hammer, or a hammer&screwdriver, and a towel..... Im assuming you were angry at the fish and tryin to teach it a lesson? Think I heard this story before.
icon_evil.gif

Hope she/he recovers for ya and produces lots more babies. :)

Addictedtofish

I wasnt mad at the fish was actually happy it did that because it saved me having to chase her around the tank. But after an hour of her not coming out of the shell after I tried making sure there was no air in the shell 3x I figured she was either stuck and about dead or for sure couldnt get out. I figured not knowing for sure in the shell where she was it was just as much of a risk hitting it a few times with a hammer as it was throwing it on the ground for it to break, either way shes toast, still barely breathing but hasnt moved from the same spot since 7 pm last night.

Addictedtofish

WOW!! I just went to check my 4 fry and see that same mom has produced a good 20 + more that are free swimmer now laying on the sand.

Fern

I bet theres more than that! I can walk by my tank one minute and see no fry and walk back by and theres a few clouds of them! They are very good at hiding!

Addictedtofish

Please dont tell me that, im going to be over run with them in no time. I think I should of taken my time on this fish breeding hobby as soon as the rest of my fish get to the age of breeding im going to have a full time job caring and trying to find new homes for them.

Fern

Leave the fry with the parents, enough do just fine in the adult tank, don't waste a 10g on them. I just pulled 8 fry .5"-1.25" from my main tank yesterday and there are still plenty that size in there, plus clouds of tiny fry.
Leaving them in the main tank you get to watch how the 'clan' mentality works and develops as well. With each new batch of fry the older guys just expand their 'defense ring' around the nest. They still run and hide when theirs true danger but I have watched little 1" fry take on adults that are intruding!

Addictedtofish

I have no intentions of moving any till they get big enough to sell, im just suprised the other female in the tank hasnt tried to reproduce after her first batch didnt successfully fertilize and last the first 72 hrs.