Neocaridina change colour?

17mars

Can neocaridina change colour or did the shrimp fairy visit my tank in the night?
I've got a five gallon planted tank that I've got some blue neocaridina in. I started with 12 shrimp in November (in an established tank with no other occupants.) A few died in the first three weeks during molt. I think I have the ph/gh/kh in acceptable levels for them now, only one recent fatality, and have been feeding with a calcium supplemented food for good measure. No complaints about that.
But this afternoon I found a shrimp I did not put in there. It's a very large and lovely dark chocolate brown. The shrimp I bought were all blue. They haven't bred yet and this one is full sized. Where the heck did he come from? Did he change colour when he molted?

Last edited:

FishBeast

It could be a gene expressing itself later in the shrimp's life cycle (their default color is brownish), depending on how "pure" the blue shrimp you have are (how many generations of blue coloration your strain has had)...

Loren

It is probably as FishBeast stated. I have blue diamonds and blue velvets and they both throw brown babies from time to time.

17mars

So they can change colour? Interesting! I did think of one more possibility though its far-fetched. When I bought them, the co-op threw in a piece of moss for them to hide in for the ride home. When I got home and looked in the bag, I simply counted the blue spots. It's possible an unintended chocolate was lurking in the moss unseen.
I'm not unhappy to have it though. It's lovely. Might cause some issues with breeding though. I've got one blue berried right now.

Loren

What you stated above is probably the more likely scenario. I hate say it but it does need to be culled if you don't want to damage the strain.

17mars

If I ever see it again (it's so dark and I have dark substrate) and assuming I can catch it, it can go in my big planted 55 so that's not so bad.
Thanks for the replies!

Loren

I'm glad that you have another tank to put him/her in. I have been able to rehome all of mine as well so far.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I personally like the idea of a Shrimp Fairy. If you see him/her again, send 'em over to my place. I NEED a shrimp fairy....

17mars

Photo added. Saw him again today inside some cholla wood. Actually he's more black than brown I guess although the light could be playing tricks.

black shrimp.jpg