Need help with seeding material (Lynnwood)

Erhan

Just starting up a tropical fish tank and attempting to complete a fishless cycle. We spiked our ammonia levels and haven't been able to get any trace of nitrite. All the advice we have gotten says to add materials from an established tank, (eg filter pack, gravel, plants.) As this is our first tank ever, we do not have an established tank to get some material from. We attempted to get some from a Petstore tank, but all they did was sell us the bacteria bottles, -which did not work (as everyone said it wouldn't.) So my question is: is there anyone out there who would be willing to part with some gravel from their healthy established tank? Am willing to trade some new gravel, or pay you back for what we've used of yours. We would really appreciate anything you could do to help.

Thanks! :D

rattle1972

i have about 4 of the xy-380 sponges in established tanks. if you want to buy some new ones i will switch out with you.

Discus213

You can use pure ammonia. This is often found in hardware stores. Having said that, it isn't always easy to come by so you may have to look around. A fishless cycle is a lot easier and more convenient than cycling the tank with fish.

baglel10

Discus213 said:
You can use pure ammonia. This is often found in hardware stores. Having said that, it isn't always easy to come by so you may have to look around. A fishless cycle is a lot easier and more convenient than cycling the tank with fish.
discus i love your pic

Discus213

baglel10 said:
Discus213 said:
discus i love your pic

Thanks bro!

Erhan

Thanks for the replies.

@rattle1972, we can do that, but I want to wait first if someone closer to Lynnwood is willing to help.

@Discus213, we are doing fishless cycling and we do use pure ammonia. It's been almost 3 weeks since we added it (about 5ppm) and still no nitrite...

Discus213

Erhan said:
Thanks for the replies.

@rattle1972, we can do that, but I want to wait first if someone closer to Lynnwood is willing to help.

@Discus213, we are doing fishless cycling and we do use pure ammonia. It's been almost 3 weeks since we added it (about 5ppm) and still no nitrite...
Ok I had great success with it. I guess it's 50 50:) but it still took I think 5 weeks.

Ashley

We are trying to cycle a tank right now too, so I don't have any extra I can give. But dennys pet world in kirkland will actually give you filter pads from their filters, not the stuff in the bottle which you're right, doesn't work! Good luck!

Erhan

Denny's is actually the place that wouldn't give us any gravel. Did you talk to Jesse -their resident fish guy? (We didn't, maybe thats why they wouldn't?) But we will definitely go back and ask for used filter pads. Thanks

Ashley

Yeah We always go in there to talk to jesse. That is probably why. I would ask for some bio media next time like filter pads and whatnot. It would probably be a little easier than gravel. Maybe you could call and talk to him before you make the drive all the way down there. Have you tried pet pourii? They are right on highway 99 in lynnwood or close by.

GoodnNuff

Erhan said:
Just starting up a tropical fish tank and attempting to complete a fishless cycle. We spiked our ammonia levels and haven't been able to get any trace of nitrite. All the advice we have gotten says to add materials from an established tank, (eg filter pack, gravel, plants.) As this is our first tank ever, we do not have an established tank to get some material from. We attempted to get some from a Petstore tank, but all they did was sell us the bacteria bottles, -which did not work (as everyone said it wouldn't.) So my question is: is there anyone out there who would be willing to part with some gravel from their healthy established tank? Am willing to trade some new gravel, or pay you back for what we've used of yours. We would really appreciate anything you could do to help.

Thanks! :D
Still looking? Wow - didn't I see this same add on CL week before last?

I have some gravel that is really full of mulm and would gladly give you a cup or more. If you are near Kent (east hill), you can stop by and pick some up.
Or, if you are closer to Ballard, I work at Swedish Ballard Hospital, and I could bring some into work with me.
PM me if you are interested.

GoodnNuff

LOL, I gotta tell my Amonia story here...

So I bought a gallon a few months back to quickly cycle a tank, stuck it in the pantry on the floor next to a gallon jug of vinegar.

Last week I made this big pot of sort of an adobo type stew with a couple of pounds of pork.
I grabbed the vinegar and just as I poured about a cup into the boiling pan, the smell hit me - I'd grabbed the damned amonia!

Don't store your ammonia in the pantry...

Erhan

@Ashley, we'll try pet pourii, thanks!

@GoodnNuff, I remember you :) In fact, I think you're the one who suggested this forum. Well thanks again for your offer, but again we're looking something close by.