Need help with another bichir ID

discus_2013

So I went shopping again and got some more bichir, this was sold to me as a Palmas bichir, just hard to find info, I found lots of info on marbled palmas Palmas but it looks a lot different. I am pretty sure there is a Palmas bichir, just can't find anything.

Madness

Staff member
For whatever reason I don't see your photo on my phone but there are a few Palmas. Palmas Palmas, Palmas polli, Palmas Buttikoferi. When I get home I will look at your picture and give an id

Madness

Staff member
Definitely not any of the Palmas species, looks more like an Ansorgii or Lapradei. You can tell because of the protruding eyes, the head shape and how the bottom jaw is even or longer than the top jaw

discus_2013

Thanks for the help guys I will keep chipping away at it, I also got one sold to me as a green bichir which I think was shortened down from green Nile bichir so I am guessing it is a retropinnis I have since requested that they label with scientific names.

discus_2013

Some more pics so you can see the pattern better, looks lapradei to me, like you guys said, has horizontal lines, and vertical lines, all very light with a brownish green tint.