Need help identifying an L number

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
E06D4DF4-ADE5-4174-B5FC-D95B5FB470F5.jpeg 9D11CB29-0D6F-4401-BE02-F17C3AC58262.jpeg I saw these at AP today and really loved the look of them and thought they would be cool looking in my community tank.

They were labeled as “butterfly pleco” but my online search for that nickname always takes me back to sailfin plecos .

I was told they top out at 6-8” if anyone can identify them and let me know the L number I’d greatly appreciate it . I want to make sure it would be a good fit for my community tank before I give them some serious thought.....

thanks in advance,

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Their look reminded me of the brown handed bamboo sharks I’ve see in the display at Point defiance zoo and aquarium

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Madness just called and helped me with a L52 number... the pics look similar but the two I saw didn’t have bright white coloring in on them and they looked more caramel and beige in color.... which from what I read could be stress colors ( from being in a petstore with 100s of eyes looking at them

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=3924

Under the Identification section: “This catfish is a master of disguise. It can change colouration, chameleon-style, quickly. If kept on a black or very dark substrate is will go almost black. Kept on a lighter substrate it will show a pretty striped pattern during the day. Another reason for misidentification of this fish is that its night-time colouration is totally different from that it has during the day, some authors note this is adult versus juvenile colouration. In more southerly occurring populations, the stripes are more clearly separated and the base colour of D. brachyura is more orange when you compare them directly.”