Free Nanochromis transvestitus Male-gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
For anyone who might be interested, unsexed 1-1.5" specimens of these wonderful fishes are available for $16 each at the Wet Spot. How they can be 'unsexed' at that size is beyond me, because the much prettier females start to show their characteristic black-and-white striped tails very early on. In any event, N. transvestitus achieve sexual maturity at <2". They need soft, very acidic water and lots of space to thrive.

transvestite-dwarf-cichlid.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
For anyone who might be interested, unsexed 1-1.5" specimens of these wonderful fishes are available for $16 each at the Wet Spot. How they can be 'unsexed' at that size is beyond me, because the much prettier females start to show their characteristic black-and-white striped tails very early on. In any event, N. transvestitus achieve sexual maturity at <2". They need soft, very acidic water and lots of space to thrive.

Wet Spot has these and Splendens but the “unsexed” keeps me from ordering. The “only online” too.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Wet Spot has these and Splendens but the “unsexed” keeps me from ordering. The “only online” too.
I wouldn't hesitate to order from the Wet Spot online, and have done so several times without any issues. However...

The problem with several West African cichlid genera, including Nanochromis and Pelvicachromis, is that the gender ratios of broods are strongly influenced by environmental factors, especially pH. So when you're buying tank-raised specimens, you may end up with a preponderance of one sex or the other, depending on the conditions under which the fry were raised. I verified this for myself (by accident) when I was raising N. transvestitus, and observed that different breeding tanks gave very different gender ratios, which ultimately turned out to be related to pH. This is an adaptive Darwinian trait in riverine species, where seasonal fluctuations in water chemistry are common.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I wouldn't hesitate to order from the Wet Spot online, and have done so several times without any issues. However...

The problem with several West African cichlid genera, including Nanochromis and Pelvicachromis, is that the gender ratios of broods are strongly influenced by environmental factors, especially pH. So when you're buying tank-raised specimens, you may end up with a preponderance of one sex or the other, depending on the conditions under which the fry were raised. I verified this for myself (by accident) when I was raising N. transvestitus, and observed that different breeding tanks gave very different gender ratios, which ultimately turned out to be related to pH. This is an adaptive Darwinian trait in riverine species, where seasonal fluctuations in water chemistry are common.
I’m not worried about online ordering. It’s the only online availability. If these were available in store I would be willing to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.