Nannacara aureocephalus and Apisto macmasterii "Red Neck"

swamp-rat

So before speaking at GPAS yesterday afternoon I wound up at The Wet Spot and picked up two nannacara and a pair of macmasterii. However I had no idea how to sex the nannacara. What I've found says the male gets significantly larger than the female, but are there any other field marks I can use? They're currently about 2".
12821457_10153339921156254_8767701834184941442_n.jpg

As for the macmasterii, the male is doing great but the female seems to be on her way out. Unfortunately the one in the bag wasn't the one I wanted and appears to have a severe internal parasite infection. I added prazi to everyone last night and will be force-feeding her repashy with metronidazole later if she is still around. I have her in a breeder cup in the tank with a bunch of moss. In the event that she expires, does anyone else have a female of this subtype available?

dwarfpike

Only thing my one reference book that has them in it mentions is "Males of this species also usually show a lateral band and dark blotches on the back" ... yet the pic of the male doesn't really correspond to that. It does seem to have some black in between the scale pattern where a midlateral blotch would be.

Good pickup. Males are quite the lookers.

swamp-rat

Because I look at every label on every tank, I saw these guys; otherwise I'd have walked past them. I love the nannacaras and laetacaras and although they aren't much to look at right now I know their potential. Of course I really fall in love with their snubby little faces more than anything. But thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I did lose the female macmasterii. :(

dwarfpike

I got excited when I saw them on aquabid ... until I realized I can't set up any more tanks right now. I'm with you on the Laetacara ... except for L. thayeri.

Sorry to here about the apisto though.