My new 'little' project - Paraneetroplus heterospilus

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This is my current project, to grow out my four little Paraneetroplus heterospilus. They were formerly Paratheraps & Vieja named at some points but Im going by what the seller listed them as. These guys are from Rapps - http://www.tangledupincichlids.com

The heterospilus are known to be pretty peaceful when compared to other fish in that family.

They were bought as 1" - 1.25" fish but we all know that means real world measurement of 3/4"  :whistle

They are not much to look at now but this is what potential they have:

Not my picture but fish from Rapps, picture from: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=194068

For sure my plan is to grow out a male for my 210g. As time goes on if a pair forms, might consider breeding them. Will wait and see.

Adult size on these guys is listed at about 9"-10" but I know madness has one that must easily be a foot. Maybe he would post a pic of his..... (please?)

Anyway, that is my new 'little' project.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Put me on the list for one of your throw away ones!!!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Throw away ones? LOL  :lmfao: 

I will let you know when its time to throw some out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It will be fun because I got them so small. Most of my fish started off bigger so I missed a lot of the baby phase. Kind of why I was thinking to try a breeding pair to get the feel of the whole process. That is one aspect of fish keeping I have never really tried. That and a planted tank, and an African Cichlid tank, and a....

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
It will be fun because I got them so small. Most of my fish started off bigger so I missed a lot of the baby phase. Kind of why I was thinking to try a breeding pair to get the feel of the whole process. That is one aspect of fish keeping I have never really tried. That and a planted tank, and an African Cichlid tank, and a....
 Then my friend.  Its time to do the planted tanks, the African cichlid tank,  the dwarf shrimp tank,  and saltwater reef tank (my last tank to do).

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
lloyd378 said:
Throw away ones? LOL  :lmfao: 

I will let you know when its time to throw some out.
Me too. I want some of these bad boys. Look at that black, gold, and orange colors.

Madness

Staff member
As you requested, here is my huge female and some smaller grow outs.

Female 12"
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Grow outs:
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks madness!

Ive always like that girl of yours. Hope I get at least one big boy out of my batch.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I love picture number 3 madness, but I'm sure you knew that as I always comment on that fish when I see him!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
With growouts in the works at madness place, Im sure we will have a breeding project going on soon. Heterospilus will be everywhere!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just realized I had never updated this... And I always hated when you found something interesting and they never followed up on it. So a super late follow up.

My Heterospilus project basically became a grow out one nice looking male and keep it in the community tank. So this is Monty since the common name is Montecristo cichlid.

This has been a great community cichlid that does not really cause problems and is mellow like my pearsei. He is the littlest cichlid in the tank at about 7-8" but holds his own with the larger red bay snook when there are disagreements. A little gill flaring at times but no other fighting. It really is funny because they have an 8ft long tank and for some reason always want to be in the same spot! lol

This has to be one of the slowest growing of any of the cichlids Ive raised but well worth it. Great adult coloration with the gold that is just amazing.

So there is my late update!

dwarfpike

Hey, dmd, do you reckon they are mellow enough to be the centerpiece fish in a Central community with smaller cichlids like the firemouth family and Cryptoheros and the Astatheros? Given a large enough tank of course.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, dmd, do you reckon they are mellow enough to be the centerpiece fish in a Central community with smaller cichlids like the firemouth family and Cryptoheros and the Astatheros? Given a large enough tank of course.
I think it would be fine as a centerpiece fish. It does have 'moments' where it will gill flare with the snook but no real agression. Those two grew up together and act like arguing siblings.

You do need to be prepared for the possibility of a giant. @Madness has a large female that was at least 12". Mine is about 7 .5-8" if I were to guess. Mine has been the slowest growing cichlid imaginable. Generally expect 8-9" as a standard adult size.

Madness

Staff member
I believe so. They do get large but temperament is quite chill.

Betty

Staff member
They were so cute when little, but now -- spectacular color! I would imagine they look even nicer in person.