My new Axolotls

LeslieG

I got these two last week. They're about 3" excluding their tails, doing well, eating great, and fascinating to watch.
Axie2015-12-23_03.jpg

Axie2015-12-23_02.jpg

Axie2015-12-23_01.jpg

pbmax

Nice! :) I think Poke has axolotls. I have a couple of dwarf frogs I've kept for several years now. It's fun to have something with legs in the tank. :thumbsup And my kids love to watch them.

LeslieG

Nice! :) I think Poke has axolotls. I have a couple of dwarf frogs I've kept for several years now. It's fun to have something with legs in the tank. :thumbsup And my kids love to watch them.

I'm getting a kick out of them. It's also a great kitty TV. She'll watch for hours and I have to shove her out of the way for my turn.

LeslieG

Here are some updated photos of my two axolotls. Abe Sapien is the leucistic (white with black eyes) and Nessie Goldenhair is the golden albino (goldish, white eyes). They're about 3.5-4" body length excluding their tails. Lately they've been accepting food from my fingers, which i think is pretty cool. They're very interesting aquarium inhabitants! I wish, though, that I could put a pleco in there with them; the wood and plants need a lot of cleanup!! (Do bristlenose accept cool temperatures?)

They're very cool when they swim - remind me of the Creature from the Black Lagoon. And where Abe is standing up on his front legs, he looks like a little dragon with the filigree. :)

Axie 2016-01-15_03.jpg Axie 2016-01-15_01.jpg Axie 2016-01-15_02.jpg Axie 2016-01-15_04.jpg Axie 2016-01-15_05.jpg Axie 2016-01-15_07.jpg

L190

Jeff, I think it is a temperature issue. axolotl's requires cool temperature, "tropical" temps can stress temp out.

LeslieG

Why can you not put a pleco in with them?
For two reasons: one, the axolotls require cool temps. At temps above 72 degrees they can get stressed, sick, and and die. Second, if it fits in their mouth, the axolotls will eat it. If it wiggles, they'll try to eat it. Fish that don't get eaten (don't fit in the axolotl's mouth) tend to nibble on their frilly gills - the gills are irresistible to fish.

I just looked up the bristlenose requirements, and the temps are too high anyway.

Jeff G.

For two reasons: one, the axolotls require cool temps. At temps above 72 degrees they can get stressed, sick, and and die. Second, if it fits in their mouth, the axolotls will eat it. If it wiggles, they'll try to eat it. Fish that don't get eaten (don't fit in the axolotl's mouth) tend to nibble on their frilly gills - the gills are irresistible to fish.

I just looked up the bristlenose requirements, and the temps are too high anyway.
I do not know much about this critter. Your photos are very neat. In a situation like this I may contemplate decor that was easy to remove. One could have extra decor so that way when the decor in the tank gets funky it can be removed, switched out with extra woods and rocks you may have. Let old decor set to dry for a couple months. When the funk is dry can easily be scraped off.

I do this with plastic plants. Pull out the funky ones, dry them. I add ones that I have already cleaned. When the plastic plants dry out the funk falls right off.