My First planted tank

sandnuka

aqua fern plant..... trichomanes javacicum, will work fully submerged. well....actually, there are about 50% say no... 50% say yes.... but there are images of big ones under water.... made sure of it before I got that one... it was free, and if dont grow and die, dont care... I got all three plants free.. hehe.... but honest... it was hella dry when I took it out.... it started pearling when I put it in my tank! its sooooo happy now! :)

tricho10.jpg

sandnuka

Lars... you just jelous of my tank.... dont deny it! lol..... ok... here is the most up to date shot.... crystal clear water... has a c02 ladder... all plants in there are reall, and FULLY AQUATIC! wooooop wooooop... (well unless your the 50% of people that believe my aqua fern isnt)

plante21.jpg

Clogstonian

looks fab! . . . . can I be so bold as to make one small suggestion? In another thread folks were talking about a black back grounds, you've got a great start there but I notice that my eye gets pulled/distracted by the hardware/wiring. I used a matte contact paper(black) over a sheet of 1/8" masonite . . . rolled out slowly so you don't get air bubbles.

again, looks great!

IceBerg

sandnuka said:
aqua fern plant..... trichomanes javacicum, will work fully submerged. well....actually, there are about 50% say no... 50% say yes.... but there are images of big ones under water.... made sure of it before I got that one... it was free, and if dont grow and die, dont care... I got all three plants free.. hehe.... but honest... it was hella dry when I took it out.... it started pearling when I put it in my tank! its sooooo happy now! :)
:D
tricho10.jpg
Trichomanes Javacicum will rot and pollute your tank if fully submerged for a long period of time, trust me on this. The best thing you can do now is to make it a house plant. Most Topfin plants are not true aquatic plants and will eventually rot and pollute your tank. Get the hook up at www.sweetaquatics.com, everywhere else is a joke.

sandnuka

ALRIGHT! I will change it!

OH god! you guys are killing me....well, with all the comments of hate on my fern, I took the three OUT! and got three more from a pet store I know and trust..... bridges in snohomish. I dont know the names of them, I forgot... lol.... but 100% positive all are fully aquatic plants. whatcha ya'll think.

petcop13.jpg
petcop11.jpg
petcop10.jpg

IceBerg

sandnuka said:
OH god! you guys are killing me....well, with all the comments of hate on my fern, I took the three OUT! and got three more from a pet store I know and trust..... bridges in snohomish. I dont know the names of them, I forgot... lol.... but 100% positive all are fully aquatic plants. whatcha ya'll think.
I was just as angry when I wasted my money on several Topfin "aqua plants". I must have threw $30 worth of plants in the garbage. I'm glad you removed the Topfin “aqua fern“, it was only a matter of time before it died.

A

Anonymous

in the last three pics, the last one isnt an aquatic plant........ JK, the first one is a crypt of some sort and the middle one is an ozelot sword, i got two of them in my tank and they are at least 12" wide and tall.

sandnuka

My stupid light cant get here fast enough! some of my plants are not looking too healthy... jumped the gun big time by not having that light first...... It does arrive tuesday, im looking at the tracking # at ups, its in denver colorado, on it way! lol

sandnuka

Lights arrived!!!!

Finally lights arrived.... and my grass is the only thing that has died.... sure it will grow back.... lights are 108watts H5, one pink one, and one white one.... Finally tank is complete! all need now is my discus and dwarfs in there. that will be next week, (i think).

lights14.jpg
lights13.jpg
lights12.jpg
lights11.jpg

sandnuka

so, even with the low watt lights I got some growth on my broad leaf ludwiga... over an inch on some!!! Wooop Wooop... circled new growth

luduwi11.jpg

CrashSmAshley

Looks great sand! I noticed my plants were looking good with new lighting too. If you don't have any, I recommend Seachem Flourish. Works great at replenishing lost and much needed nutrients. They also have Seachem Flourish Excel which helps in adding CO2 as well.

sandnuka

CrashSmAshley said:
They also have Seachem Flourish Excel which helps in adding CO2 as well.
See behind the ludwiga... I have a Co2 ladder... so good on that ash... but thanks, I will try the seachem flourish though.

Lars - I checked, then dbl checked.... also listened to everyones opinion.... everything is aquatic!!! WOOOP WOOOp.... I even took out anything that was debateable! HA HA! So no one can tell me I have a non-aquatic plant again! HA HA. unless of course they dont have a clue what there talking about... then i really dont care, cause they would look dumb. HA HA!

sandnuka

before and after shots

Just wanted to keep everyone updated on the planted tank progress...... I didnt even notice how much growth Ive had until I looked at the picture and compared it with the early tank shots.... Well, there has been some new additions obviously, but honestly Ive had to prune down the ludwiga several times because its growin so fast... I am tryin to get it to bush out instead of grow upwards. :)

plante12.jpg
plante11.jpg
plante10.jpg

If you notice how much more ludwiga there is... cause basically I cut it in half, and planted to tops against the side.... Now I will just let it go ahead and grow vertical.