My Black/Blue/Green Moscow Guppies

jettej

Sooo. I am confused what moscow i am carrying. The dad is Pure Black Moscow. And these are the First Generation. Which is akward cuz the Last male left in the batch looks like a Mixed moscows. Anyways IThe guy is very energetic and keeping all the females busy. Here are some pics.

LuminousAphid

They look awesome, I was thinking about starting out with some blue moscows but I figured I would just go the roulette route and get random guppies to start with. What traits do you plan on breeding/selecting for? Just picking the best looking ones?

jettej

Thank you guys.

BallardFishGuy Yeah i hope Cory notice this thread of mine haha.

Pbmax yeah i like its color. Im just confused why he's not having the solid color just like the dad.
Its either not pure strained.
Or its too young to be awesome. I think he is a couple months old.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
A few things going on there. The blacks do take a while to look "black" usually a flashlight even on adult males you can see the blue undertones. Sometimes they are sold as midnight blue moscow guppies etc.

It is common practice to crosss blue/purple moscows in to blacks to keep the genetics strong.

Guppies are never really pure, or any fish for that matter. The term is usually called "strain set" When 90% of the spawn will come out true, aka black. I had black moscows breeding for like 2 years. After about like 18 months I had some fry come out albino. So did someone I sold some fry too also. There are always recessive genes etc. So nothing can be pure. But a strain can be set.

jettej

LuminousAphid said:
They look awesome, I was thinking about starting out with some blue moscows but I figured I would just go the roulette route and get random guppies to start with. What traits do you plan on breeding/selecting for? Just picking the best looking ones?
I also have a tank full of fancies. It started with 1 feeder female and took her months to decide to use some saved enzymes and make herself preggy. She dropped yellows, yellow snakeskin, blues, and random coloration which i thought was cool. I like moscows because i like pure bold colors. I had a half black yellow guppies from aquabid but i lost them. I also had purple moscow and lost them too :( the roulette route is fun. I will do selective breeding on moscows. And add different females on a separate tank and go from there.

Ill do moscows
And cobra if i get more tanks.

jettej

Aquarium Co-Op said:
A few things going on there. The blacks do take a while to look "black" usually a flashlight even on adult males you can see the blue undertones. Sometimes they are sold as midnight blue moscow guppies etc.

It is common practice to crosss blue/purple moscows in to blacks to keep the genetics strong.

Guppies are never really pure, or any fish for that matter. The term is usually called "strain set" When 90% of the spawn will come out true, aka black. I had black moscows breeding for like 2 years. After about like 18 months I had some fry come out albino. So did someone I sold some fry too also.  There are always recessive genes etc. So nothing can be pure. But a strain can be set.
Thank you! I am honestly starting to gain more confidence on handling these kind of guppies. I find the a little less hardy than fancy guppies. So what the next best route to try and keep their genetics strong?. Find another set of black moscows? Do you have any show guppies for sale on your store?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I've got some different strains at my store that are locally bred. I think in general you'll find you'll have a lot more luck with strains that are bred locally. Be it from a store or hobbyist etc. Closer to our water is always better.

jettej

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Yeah I've got some different strains at my store that are locally bred. I think in general you'll find you'll have a lot more luck with strains that are bred locally. Be it from a store or hobbyist etc. Closer to our water is always better.
I'm hoping to visit your store pretty soon. Im not goona give any date or time. But i for sure wanna be there and will be there. I will see you soon. And i am looking forward to meet you. Thanks Cory.

LuminousAphid

Cory that was an awesome explanation of guppy genetics, thanks for that.

jettej, what you could always do is breed one generation with a wild-caught variety, although this obviously goes against Cory's advice to keep it local, which is definitely good advice. Crossing with a few wild specimens might give you some nice hybrid vigor, but it could also result in a lot fewer black ones I'm thinking.

This was the first thing that came up when I searched google for "wild guppy cross" and I haven't read it yet, but I will be soon, it looks super interesting and might give you some ideas of whether or not you want to do it. I don't even know if it would be productive to cross with wild caught guppies, but I know there was someone who came into Cory's store and bought a wild Peruvian Angel to crossbreed into his angel strain, and he seemed like he knew what he was doing! :p

jettej

Hmm. Well i'm pretty sure something will turn awesome if u mix the male black moscow to a wild type. One thing is. Whatever coloration you willl get i bet it will be also wild. As i said i wanna go for a bold solid look atm since i dont have much stock left for my moscows. Then we go from there. I hate to say aquabid is the only thing comes in my mind if i needed moscows. Maybe im not looking well or maybe not much people breeds it here. I found a purple moscow that i bought over a year ago. But he also bought it from aquabid. I actually found my black moscows on the LFS that i used to love to go and visit. But lately i am loosing that trust and interest with that store.

jettej

Update. Just wanna show what coloration He's showing off lately!
Some pics are just the females. They are Preggy... mostly a week or two till their expected due date :)