Most aggressive New World Cichlids

sandnuka

Alright, I want all our New World cichlid keepers and experts to post on this thread. I want opinions of the top 5 most aggressive New World Cichlids. From the few that Ive kept, Im gonna give my opinion to get the ball rolling.

1. Dovii, Wolf cichlid - (Never kept it, but everything Ive ever read said it was the #1killer)

2. Jag Cichlid - (Again, havent kept it, just heard it was a monster)

3. Talapia Butterkoiferi (got one smaller than most of the fish i had, and he killed everyone!)

4. Midas or Trimac (Loved my midas... was sooooo aggressive would attack the vacume, my hand, and if you tapped on his tank he would smash against the glass)

A

Anonymous

Butikoferi is not an american cichlid... I will post from my experiances. The top 5 in my opinion.

1 neetropolus nematopus
2 dovii
3 umbee
4 salvini
5 convict

There are 3 smaller cichlids in my list. They are some of the most aggresive fish I have ever kept. This is from my esperiance. And of course is not set in stone. Every cichlid has a diffrent personality. Like dmds old midas was super docile. If my list were to continue it would have seiboldii and istlanum and trimac as the next three in no specific order. But by far the most aggresive fish I have ever kept was a cichlid from the rivers of africa. The five star general.

Madness

Staff member
If we are going off size of fish. IE we put said fish together in tank at max size, which is most aggressive:

1)Dovii
2)Festae
3)Red Devil
4)Jag
5)Grammode, Beani, Istlanum, Cuban (all of these are comparable)

Now if we were talking in reference of size, IE if all fish were at say 10" max size.

1)Convict hands down
2)Dovii
3)Festae
4)Red Devil
5)Seiboldi, Salvini, Nicaraguenses,

I am sure there are a couple that I over looked. My list is based off of my experience with each of them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have had a 12" glass banger Midas as a kid who respected me when I stuck my hand in the tank, and then I had my easy going 11" Midas who went through a "horny" phase where he would bite me because the "entire" tank became his breeding area. :scratch: So that one is a tough one for me.

I have convict growing out by himself in a 29g that is super bold and has a lot of spunk for such a little fish.

So size not a question
Dovii
Convict

Last edited:

Mikey

The Dovii at Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood is the meanest fish I've ever seen. Very cool fish though

sandnuka

fish_n_vw said:
Butikoferi is not an american cichlid...
HOly crap, I never knew that! Everytime I walk into a pet store that has these fish, they are in the New world cichlid area... I guess thats cause the river that they are from has water parameters similar to waters in the americas.... think I wouldve researched a fish I owned.. lol, well honestly it was when I first started gettin fish.... didnt know anything, didnt research, and just mixing fish... I remember I had mallawii and americans in the same tank at one point :wall:

Well evidently I havent improved much cause I wouldve still stuck a butikoferi in a american tank to this day.. lol

Madness

Staff member
Hey dont beat yourself up, LOL I have a Bleekeri in my show tank with all my Centrals. :)

fishman09

anything breeding will most of t6he time be the most aggressive cichlid. my male jag would tear my hand to bits if he had the chance

presleyk

These three are my top picks hands down, and I agree Ike at AP is def a good spokesman for the species, a beast by nature lol! If a convict was the size of a dovii or umbee he would be the hands down killer.
Dovii
Umbee
Con's

DAN O

madness said:
If we are going off size of fish. IE we put said fish together in tank at max size, which is most aggressive:

Now if we were talking in reference of size, IE if all fish were at say 10" max size.

1)Convict hands down
2)Dovii
3)Festae
4)Red Devil

I am sure there are a couple that I over looked. My list is based off of my experience with each of them.
Wow really Nicaraguenses made the top 7, picked up four 2" last month. Plan on keeping a pair, guess l better keep an eye on them.

A

Anonymous

DAN O said:
madness said:

1)Convict hands down
2)Dovii
3)Festae
4)Red Devil

Wow really Nicaraguenses made the top 7, picked up four 2" last month. Plan on keeping a pair, guess l better keep an eye on them.
I have kept them off and on for about 4 years, currently have none, but am planning on picking some up. From what I have seen there really chill untill the male hits about 6 or 7 inches.. then they can a bit nasty. But it all depends on the fish.

joebyrd6499

joebyrd6499

now for size yes convicts can be mean but i have never had a convict rip another fish apart however my 110 is baffeled with 4 fish cuz my male jag and my male freddy hoffa were trying to kill eachother in my experience convicts are comunity fish i have a pink male who is bossy but hes no killer

Madness

Staff member
joebyrd6499 said:
now for size yes convicts can be mean but i have never had a convict rip another fish apart however my 110 is baffled with 4 fish cuz my male jag and my male freddy hoffa were trying to kill each other in my experience convicts are community fish i have a pink male who is bossy but hes no killer
I have a question. Do you not like pure bred fish? Its seems you have a lot of hybrids and what pure you have, your trying to get spawn w/ hybrids. Just my opinion, but you would have better luck selling pure fish than you would hybrids. That dovi/fred/rtm combo you have, is going to be tough to get rid of them. I may be in the minority regarding hybrids like that, but I dont think I am. This hobby is getting more and more flooded with hybrids, it is starting to get impossible to get some fish as a pure specie, and reason is, is because of all the "I think it would be cool to cross the 2 fish" and then they get out into the public and they start breeding. Its a major snowball. But this is just my opinion. I will never purchase a hybrid, or sell one. Good luck on all of yours. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
:iagree:
When stores like Aquarium Paradise promote these hybrids and give them interesting names it does encourage the process to continue. I am not a fan of these fish. I am curious when I hear of a hybrid and want to see what it looks like but would never own one personally.

Back to the original topic of aggression, many of these hybrids seem to get the worst part of this when it comes to these mixes. Case in point is that most flowerhorns are much more aggressive that the base fish used in their construction.