Midas...

Orthopod

Here’s my Midas. He’s a real b@star@rd. He eats on my peacock bass but he’s pretty and not doing too much damage. He’s at least 13 to 14 inches.

BA8807FB-962D-4202-9F18-CB3C8CB40221.jpeg 5388E4BD-2327-4966-826F-629BF6205D6D.jpeg 1D134464-02A4-4157-BD59-CACC6502F9FF.jpeg 22717BAD-1F23-486F-983C-A63FE7D49995.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
He is a beast! Im in the process of raising out some midas right now, hope I can get one to that size.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I saw your post on MFK about sexing your midas. Also you had responded to an ad where a guy was selling a 16” midas. That thing looked massive. My previous big cichlid was a 16” female pearsei that was a huge presence in my 300, I cant even imagine a big midas with a giant hump like that one had.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I once had a 13” midas, maybe even slightly larger for a second.
It was a she and she was nasty mean so I got rid of her!

I love how much white yours has. Where and how long ago did you pick him up at? Also, where did you source some P-Bass.... I’ve been looking the last 6-7 months and I can’t find any local and the ones willing to ship are astronomical in price

Orthopod

I love how much white yours has. Where and how long ago did you pick him up at? Also, where did you source some P-Bass.... I’ve been looking the last 6-7 months and I can’t find any local and the ones willing to ship are astronomical in price
He/she is a relatively new edition - I picked “her” up (sold to me as a her) from Angry Fish out of Arizona. I just couldn’t resist the orange paint splash around each eye contrasted by the white.

My peacock bass are picked up from a local guy with good taste in fish who was down sizing. I actually had the chance to pick up a bigger temensis when covid was going strong in the beginning of April from him but at the time I wasn’t interested in driving 1:30 with all the hurdles to get it. Regretting that now lol. predatory fins has some peacock bass nice size and will ship but costs and arm and 2 legs. They have this lemon yellow bass available right now but it costs $700. I spend way more on fish than I should but haven’t crossed that threshold on bass yet. Most peacock bass species / subspecies / color variants look similar enough that I like them all still, lol.

Orthopod

I yearn for a fish store like monster aquarium to open locally, but it might have only the 3 of us shipping at it while people kept coming in and asking they don’t have more exotic plants, lol.

Orthopod

The other thing we should do is a field collecting trip to Florida - cichla, Midas, festae and host of others are introduced to the water ways. The best looking festae I’ve seen was in a Florida canal lol.

Orthopod

MFK had a non-native species thread where members were showing off what they were catching in US water ways.
I posted in one thread where a guy had found a pond in Arizona with Africans and had pulled out an adult venustus. Is that the one or was there another? Probably another because I’m the one that went on a tangent in that post, lol.

Orthopod

L

Let me know if you guys are interested in temensis - just happened to pick up 5 from a MFK guy this am in a deal that was too good to pass up and he’s shipping to me. They are supposedly 4-5 inches - tems usually hit over a foot by a year.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I posted in one thread where a guy had found a pond in Arizona with Africans and had pulled out an adult venustus. Is that the one or was there another? Probably another because I’m the one that went on a tangent in that post, lol.

Not sure. That was many moons ago.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had seen some really cool feral midas that have intense reds that you just dont see in tank raised fish. Thinking it is natural expose to the sun and UV. Would love to catch some invasive aquarium fishes!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
L

Let me know if you guys are interested in temensis - just happened to pick up 5 from a MFK guy this am in a deal that was too good to pass up and he’s shipping to me. They are supposedly 4-5 inches - tems usually hit over a foot by a year.
Send me a pm with prices and how many you aren’t going to keep and I will see if I can work it out!

Modest_Man

Took me forever to find this photo of me fishing in Hawaii back in 06'. Photobucket went down the crapper!

100_0737.jpg

Orthopod

Send me a pm with prices and how many you aren’t going to keep and I will see if I can work it out!
Here are the tems- haven’t got them to eat yet - they are alll between 4 and 5 inches. Let me to try to get them eating before I pawn any off - I was told they were eating pellets but not so confident they were now. Still early though. Apologize for the horrible photos.

3047B988-0E3C-4BF0-B83A-9AA3E8E7B022.jpeg D7B1E0E4-478B-480A-AD13-A305908CDAF0.jpeg