melanachromis auratus

aaronfeeney

picked up a male at a place for pets today,,, he imediately started the mating dance with my female,,, she wasn't as enthused.

larry.beck

Who's in the tank with them Aaron?

Betty keeps these as well, I believe.

I used to have one but decided I had too aggressive fish for my tank footprint and preferred to keep the chipokae.

Betty

Staff member
I have one male left, but I used to keep these in large numbers. The males are so aggressive, that it's best to keep several females per male. I actually had one male that spawned with a female and a couple of hours later I found him eating her. He had ripped out her throat area, all of the eggs were gone, and she was dead. :cry: They did okay as a group -- I had about 15 of them. And I have had a couple of males that were actually good citizens and didn't bother anybody.

I hope you got a nice one! Good luck. I think they are a nice looking fish and have always liked them.

aaronfeeney

wow , I am seeing the male aggression already, since she showed no interest in spawning he's now relentlessly chasing her, if he keeps it up he's going in the community mbuna tank

A

Anonymous

Their aggression shrinks in a heavily stocked Mbuna tank. I always kept Auratus without issue (well, besides the non-stop spawning).