Looking for advice

Chiisai

Ok so I have decided to take the plunge and try my hand at a saltwater tank. I have a 55gal available as well as a light fixture thats 48" (currently 2x 10k, and 1 actinic T8s fitted in it). Already acquired a few bags of Argo-nite sand/crushed coral, but going to hold off on live rock till the tank is actually running. I am thinking I will start with fish only tank to start and then get some soft corals in a few months. I would like to give a EPIC thanks to ProAquatix (http://www.proaquatix.com/) who has offered to stock my future SW tank with fish and inverts at no cost :cheers: . So... on to the questions...

#1 Is a SUMP necessary if I use a canister filter? Looking at how a sump works it looks like the same basic principle, just adds more water volume. Reason I ask is because my 55gal is glass and trying to figure out how to plumb it doesnt sound like loads of fun.

#2 I cant find anywhere in saltwater reading that says anything about doing amonia/nitrate cycling of the tank. Is there something about saltwater that bypasses this? or is it still necessary?

#3 How long should I have the live rock doing its thing in the tank before I add fish?

Bob

I am not a salt water expert by any means. But i just set up my first tank about 3 months ago. I can share my experience, though it is a nano tank so things may be different.

I think people choose sumps over canister because it gives them somewhere to put the protein skimmer. There is a nitrogen cycle for salt water. However, for me i used live sand and live rock from an established tank therefor mine never cycled. I think how long it takes before you can add fish depends on the fish. Some fish they say wait 6 months before adding.

Chiisai

Anyone know what size plumbing I should be shooting for? I would think maybe 3/4" or 1" but if I go 1 1/2" then I know I'm good.

Br

Welcome to the saltwater world! I guess before anyone can answer your question on what size plumbing you should use, we need to know if your tank is drilled for overflow and how big are those holes, or if you're going to use one of those overflow box that sits in the back? Haven't heard you mention about the skimmer but it's the most important part of the filtration system. I would recommend that you gather all the equipment needed, get the plumbing done correctly before thinking of putting anything in the tank.

Chiisai

Tank is not drilled at all or plumbing question would be answered I would think. I have a line on a protein skimmer but from what i read its not necessary for cycling the tank.

Br

Well this is getting more complicated. Below are the links that you can check out. To answer to your original question, I think 1" should be good enough. I'd preferred to buy a used tank that has a built in overflow box to make things easier. The skimmer has nothing to do with cycling the tank...it helps to clean your water. Check out the "new to reef keeping" forum from reeffrontiers... all I can say is started right and slowly to avoid the frustration down the road...
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads/67 ... n-overflow
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html