long over due tank updates. warning. very pic heavy

iandraco

dwarfpike said:
Nice. Caudopunks are the one rift species I've always wanted to keep, but rarely see them available. Plus, I don't like messing with tap water if I can avoid it.
thanks. they're a really fun species to keep. if your tap water is at least 7.8 PH you should not have to buffer at all. i don't. their fry are really sensitive to water changes ime. theirs is the one tank that i don't do many water changes in. even a 10% change kills all of my fry if they are smaller than 1/4". they are born tiny and grow really slow. i only change the water in the tank about every 2 months. i just put lots of plants in the tank to keep nitrate levels from getting too high and clean out my filter media regularly in a bucket of tank water from another tank. i'm a water change aholic so it's really hard for me to leave their tank alone. that might be a perk for some people though.

iandraco

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Those are some really nice looking Leleupi you've got there. I need to breed some of those. I always find pale yellow ones :(
thanks. if you are interested in some of my fry i can make you a deal on some and ship them to you in a few month when they are large enough. i love the yellow ones too. if i ever move into a bigger house and have room i would like to get some and breed them as well. leleupi add a great splash of color to any Tang tank. one of my favorites.

iandraco

Madness said:
Love the Gibberosa, would love to have a colony of them some day.  
Thanks Madness. my Mobas are my absolute favorite fish. they've grown a great deal in the last couple years. my largest is currently about 8.5" at the moment. my avitar is a pic of one of them as a 1" fry. i absolutely love them.

Betty

Staff member
iandraco said:
Betty said:
They all look great.  Glad you posted them!

Your leleupi look just like mine.  Does your pair have a tank to themselves?  It's so nice and clean!
the pair in the pics have their own 20L as of last week.  they have had 2 big spawns recently and were harassing everyone in my 40B Tang community tank.  had to give them their own home before major problem arose.  i have 4 others who are still in the community tank.  
My leleupi pair are in a 20L also and they've been there for nearly 5 years now.  Breeding is slowing down, but they still spawn from time to time.

dwarfpike

iandraco said:
thanks.  they're a really fun species to keep.  if your tap water is at least 7.8 PH you should not have to buffer at all.
Our water is more suitable for Westies out of the tap than rift cichlids. When I lived in spokompton, I switched from SA to CA cichlids for the same reason, I hate messing with water, but since moving back I switched back to the lower pH cichlids.