Little Snails - A renewed confidence

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
So as the Shrimp-Tank-Saga continues (the unbroken replacement tank is STILL not here yet), I got to thinking about my new obsession with having happy, healthy Crystal Red Shrimps. Case in point: I've bought snails from the Co-op a couple of times for the little Amazon Puffer, paralyzed with fear that his teeth will grow too long and he'll starve to death. I plop them into the tank. I've yet to see him eat one. Not sure where the hell they go...? (For the record, Robert @ The Co-op told me to calm the hell down already - LOL - not in those words - but that's what I needed to hear). I thought, aren't these little snails supposed to procreate like gangbusters? There's a thousand vids on YouTube about how to "rid yourself" of snails. I thought, "I can't even breed Ramshorn SNAILS??"

Well, you never know where you are going to get your next gift and WHALA - the little endler tank delivered the good news. There's a gagillion (OK, not that many) teeny tiny Ramshorn Snails in the little tank and a batch of new eggs that yesterday, I thought was a bubble on the leaf.

I see some tiny, delicate and delicious Escargot in the future of the cutest fish I have: Sean Puffy Combs!

FAITH RENEWED!

Snail Eggs.jpg

And yes, that's a betta drive-by

julzhull

I have so so many ramshorns. I think I feed too much. Right now they're going crazy in my guppy/bristlenose tank but I've got to feed that tank decently because of all the babies. So, I keep picking them out. We're hoping to have a puffer in our future so we can use them as a food source eventually.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I have so so many ramshorns. I think I feed too much. Right now they're going crazy in my guppy/bristlenose tank but I've got to feed that tank decently because of all the babies. So, I keep picking them out. We're hoping to have a puffer in our future so we can use them as a food source eventually.

Well, interesting that you mention this - because I think this is precisely why I'm getting so many. The 3 endler females are preggo with one ready to pop any second - so I've been feeding them more. Not such a big mystery, right? Nature works like that all the time so why wouldn't it in this little plastic tank? LOL

I tell though, it's going to be a glory day when I see Sean Puffy Combs actually devouring a snail. I'll surely post about it because I will be THAT excited. I'm sure old fish hands around here think I'm quite the simpleton - but this really, REALLY is quite exciting to me!

Loren

If you are not the squeamish type they can just be smashed against the glass. I overfeed as well in my +12 tanks and there is only so many snails that my pea puffer can eat. Also, I can't stand the sight when I put in green beans or shrimp food only to see them covered by snails an hour later. Snails are highly nutritious and all my fish (including plecos, corys and shrimp) love them.

julzhull

If you are not the squeamish type they can just be smashed against the glass. I overfeed as well in my +12 tanks and there is only so many snails that my pea puffer can eat. Also, I can't stand the sight when I put in green beans or shrimp food only to see them covered by snails an hour later. Snails are highly nutritious and all my fish (including plecos, corys and shrimp) love them.
I do that sometimes, I should actually do it more often, especially with my baby plecos (free food). I used to hate the thought of smashing them but I don't mind it anymore. Tweezers work too. I also hate seeing them all over the food that I put in there. We really want a Fahaka puffer so at some point I'll need to leave some ramshorns be to grow out for it.

Loren

I do that sometimes, I should actually do it more often, especially with my baby plecos (free food). I used to hate the thought of smashing them but I don't mind it anymore. Tweezers work too. I also hate seeing them all over the food that I put in there. We really want a Fahaka puffer so at some point I'll need to leave some ramshorns be to grow out for it.
I should use tweezers but it seems to slow things down a little. It would be safer though since snail shells can cut your fingers as I have learned from experience. :(

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hmmm. I don't know if I can smash them against the glass. Right now, I like them too much. lol

julzhull

I should use tweezers but it seems to slow things down a little. It would be safer though since snail shells can cut your fingers as I have learned from experience. :(
One time I tried to smash a baby conical (not sure the exact kind of snail but it was a white conical shape) on the side of the glass. Worst idea ever. It didn't smash and my finger hurt after that.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Congrats! Extra food plus fish who don't eat snail eggs = tons of food for the PuffDaddy.

In other good news, my Endlers finally had their babies! Cory and Robert at the Co-Op told me that I needed crushed coral for them -- and that's exactly what I did. So now, I have a TON of snails (had to cull this weekend - it's out of control) and more babies on the way!

FishBeast

In other good news, my Endlers finally had their babies! Cory and Robert at the Co-Op told me that I needed crushed coral for them -- and that's exactly what I did. So now, I have a TON of snails (had to cull this weekend - it's out of control) and more babies on the way!
Congrats!!