Lg common pleco

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I had to remove the lg common from the 60g I maintain. I have it in my 90f for now but I’m not sure if I will keep it. I didn’t bother with a net, just pinned it and made sure my hand was positioned to not get jabbed. It’s over 12in.
E6D7FA38-1186-4A92-BF4D-9CCFFA0E954E.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The big common pleco are so cool looking. Good thing moving him into the 90. Planning on going bigger one day? He would probably love a 180...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The big common pleco are so cool looking. Good thing moving him into the 90. Planning on going bigger one day? He would probably love a 180...

I have the 220 waiting to be set up. That is a bigger project. I need a hole in the wall for viewing and a stand. The view will be from the fish room opposite the 100g. Someday. It will be a planted tank so I’m not sure about the common’s future residence. I may just rehome.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have the 220 waiting to be set up. That is a bigger project. I need a hole in the wall for viewing and a stand. The view will be from the fish room opposite the 100g. Someday. It will be a planted tank so I’m not sure about the common’s future residence. I may just rehome.

A planted 220? Now that sounds tasty! Not the usual 'big cichlid' tank for sure, so what are you thinking about stocking it with? I'm trying to image what I would do with a setup like that, and there are just so many interesting possibilities. Keep us posted! :)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
A planted 220? Now that sounds tasty! Not the usual 'big cichlid' tank for sure, so what are you thinking about stocking it with? I'm trying to image what I would do with a setup like that, and there are just so many interesting possibilities. Keep us posted! :)

I’m leaning towards Discus and/or angels at the moment. My SD are getting big enough that they are candidates too. Nothing solid right now, I could get it set up and find a beautiful Frontosa or two and do a 180. So many options.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I’m leaning towards Discus and/or angels at the moment.

That was exactly my first thought! How about P. altum? I kept these years ago, and they are stunning! Not only are they considerably more exotic than P. scalare in terms of body shape and fin development, but they get big! Think the size of a small saucer, not counting the fins.

1200px-Group_of_Pterophyllum_Altum.jpg

pterophyllum-altum-906bbcb7-f9b2-4a0d-8cfc-6a1fdb03906-resize-750.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That was exactly my first thought! How about P. altum? I kept these years ago, and they are stunning! Not only are they considerably more exotic than P. scalare in terms of body shape and fin development, but they get big! Think the size of a small saucer, not counting the fins.

View attachment 5749

View attachment 5750

Altums have always been on my list of fish to get. Part of the 90g stocking is preparing for the 220 so that I will have good sized stock that won’t disappear into the weeds.