Let's Figure Out What's Wrong with my Marimo Ball!

So... I'm not sure why my Marimo Ball is growing oddly. . . I've kept it in high light with pressurized co2 and dose EI method.

I've noticed that the growth isn't uniform anymore, and it's starting to grow "wild" where it's starting to look more like string algae (Yes I'm aware that Marimo balls are a form of cladophora algae, which is the same as string algae). But WHY is it growing like that? Anyone happen to know of have some kind of theory?

Only thing I can think of, is that it's in an environment that is providing too much light, nutrients and co2, for it...it's basically growing exponentially faster than it normally does. But wouldn't that make it grow faster ALL AROUND the ball instead of just one spot? Odd...

Also, there are no other forms of algae growing in the tank, because the plants seem to do a good job at outcompeting the algae for nutrients.

unnamed.jpg

Ali

Kinda looks like it's being swept in a strong (or even not strong) current to me.

Yes, when doing water changes, I make sure to rotate it weekly.

Ali might be onto something, because the top portion tends to have more water flow than the underside. Who woulda thought that, that would make it grow faster...