Less Aqua

julzhull

I'm attending the reptile expo tomorrow in Monroe... I've never been to one, but perhaps I might find something useful for this, we will see!
How was that reptile expo? I've (oddly) been intrigued by reptiles and was looking for the next local expo and realized I missed this one.

Evergreenblue

Hello everyone, time for an update!
I hope your shrimp breed before I finish this, Vicki, otherwise you might go crazy with how slow I go!
Julzhull, the expo was ok. I'd never been to something like that. Most of the frogs were gone byt he time I got there, and it was primarily different animals and lots of arachnids (not for me!) I wasn't sure what to expect, but there wasn't any vendors or educational exhibits...but it was still interesting. I did meet a couple breeders which was cool though.

Anyway, on to the little bit of progress (not much). Let's start with prepping the misting system. I sourced a couple of these guys:
IMG_20170529_084347_zpsconvyzv9.jpg

I figured I could use one for the water reservoir to the mister, and another for a drain collection. I liked that they were easy to see the water level, the dimensions and they were cheap! For the reservoir, I had to modify it somehow to install a bulkhead... so I tried something that worked out perfect! See the spigot and bulkhead:
IMG_20170529_084426_zpsm4s5bjzi.jpg

I tested the fit, and it was awesome, so I cut off and sanded smooth the spigot piece:
IMG_20170529_085628_zps8uzonarx.jpg

And...
IMG_20170529_090118_zpsux3vrsty.jpg

More to follow on the mister... on to other things.

So, I received this in the mail:
IMG_20170530_170318_zpsndljqvdm.jpg

A fan for cooling, a nice little thermostat, a filter and gasket...
Now, since the drilling for the drain went well, I was brave enough to try something a little more complex!
IMG_20170530_212213_zpsoplb3g1a.jpg

And installed:
IMG_20170530_213057_zpszdithvn0.jpg

IMG_20170530_213419_zps0hmsb5ul.jpg

I removed the rubber feet and wire screen from the side facing the glass, and placed the gasket between the fan and the glass with the filter on the inside of the glass. The screws that came with the filter weren't long enough, so I removed the ones from the feet. I also removed the feet from the other side and flipped the guard around to make the logo correct, just because.

More updates when I get there.

Evergreenblue

Haha, I was pretty happy with how it turned out! I'll start working on the rest of the ventilation/misting system this weekend, with more pictures and update as well.

Evergreenblue

Well, everyone, I'm sorry to inform you that there will be no real update this weekend. My other hobby took the day (beer brewing) and I just didn't make enough time this weekend. Who know, I might do something tonight, but we'll see. I'll try to update this week!

L190

Nice, beer brewing was a hobby of mine a while back. It took me all day to do a batch.

Evergreenblue

Hmmm... I do like some mules... I enjoy me some beer though! Today is an IPA day, (as "payment" for someone helping me out).

Yeah, it takes me most of the day, even though they're small batches. But it's fun!

Evergreenblue

It's half batches for me... I brew a bit more often and don't have as much to consume. I may end up going to 10 eventually for the recipes I get nailed down... I like this size for now though. Plus, I still can do it on the stove!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
LOL! I am a nooby when it comes to shrimp! :rofl:rofl:rofl

Well, you're clearly doing something I am NOT over here in Gay Shrimp Town.

Once I get my first paycheck from my new home business, I'm gonna buy me some more shrimps!