LED Lights for Planted tanks?

WhosUrDadi

Aquarium Co-Op said:
WhosUrDadi said:
Aquarium Co-Op said:
WhosUrDadi said:
Aquarium Co-Op said:
I run LEDs on every tank in the store basically. I think they're great when you get the right ones.

Finnex - I currently use these and they get great reviews on plantedtank.
Aquatop - Made at the same manufacturer as Finnex, less size options and more expensive.
Current - Remote control is kinda neat and different modes. Low-mid light only.
Beamworks aka ebay leds - decent but use too much power and the optics are bad.
Marineland - Avoid like the plague
Fluval LED- I havent used one of these yet. Supposed to be good but expensive.
I use Beamswork and never had any problem for me. i had it running for more than a year now. and now that they improve the built already, i dont think its going to be an issue.
By optics being bad I mean the optic put onto the led makes it shoot straight down instead of a spread. So you get columns of light directly under the leds as opposed to it spreading out and giving even coverage over the plants etc.
nope i dont get any straight beaming. i tried putting the fixture directly on top of my cover and raised the fixture away from the cover, i never had any beaming...  i dont why..

I actually want to try their new 0.2watt fixture too... thats pretty sure that there will be no beaming..

im not saying that you are not telling the truth as I heard from different user of it also that they have beaming in it, its probably their first version of the fixture. i did bought the 3rd generation of it and no beaming for me.. =)
Yeah that could totally be. I think I have the first generation. Also I suspect the 0.2 leds won't have that problem at all. As more light sources = less beaming etc.
I believe it consumes a little bit less than the 1w even though there's more LED bulbs in it.

anyhow, how often do you stock fancy plecos? i was looking for some maybe L134 or L260 or L172a or L14. =)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
WhosUrDadi said:
anyhow, how often do you stock fancy plecos?   i was looking for some maybe L134 or L260 or L172a or L14. =)
I've got the L134s in stock wild caught at $63 each. All the other plecos I have had in the store in the last 3 months, but am currently out. I do have Locally bred King Tigers for $29.99 also :)

WhosUrDadi

Aquarium Co-Op said:
WhosUrDadi said:
anyhow, how often do you stock fancy plecos?   i was looking for some maybe L134 or L260 or L172a or L14. =)
I've got the L134s in stock wild caught at $63 each. All the other plecos I have had in the store in the last 3 months, but am currently out. I do have Locally bred King Tigers for $29.99 also :)
errr.. i was hoping you got F1 L134 cuz i know WC's are pricey... >_>

JimA

I have the beamworks light and have been happy with them so far. As far as the spotlight effect goes I ended up popping off the little plastic light lenses and it solved the beaming issues and gave them more spread..

WhosUrDadi

JimA said:
I have the beamworks light and have been happy with them so far.   As far as the spotlight effect goes I ended up popping off the little plastic light lenses and it solved the beaming issues and gave them more spread..
lol! I was waiting for you chime in! =D