LED lighting suggestions

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I may have decided on an LED: http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=1548&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5&SearchContext=YTo1OntzOjg6IlNlYXJjaElEIjtzOjE6IjUiO3M6MTA6IkRhdGFiYXNlSUQiO3M6MToiMiI7czo4OiJLZXl3b3JkcyI7czo1OiJhbC0xOCI7czo4OiJTZWFyY2hfeCI7czo0OiItMTYyIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjQ6Ii0zNTYiO30=

Turns out the original light issue with Amazon might just be fulfilled after all with this as a substitution. Just have to see if it all falls into place. Normally about a $110 item (which was more than I wanted to spend) but price issue being worked out by vendor to make sure Im happy. This one too is a modular system with replaceable panels.

poffman

fishNAbowl said:
By reading this thread it seems you really get what you pay for. I've read a lot of "what's cheaper, what's cheaper". Then.... Ohhh, they are ooookaay...

I've never said that with a Finnex. You want color enhancing, choose a monster ray. You want bright? Perhaps a Ray2. You want warm natural tone? FugeRay planted+. Tank is 16" deep? Get one fixture. Tank is 2' deep, get 2 fixtures. You get what you pay for. You want quality , it'll cost. You want ho humm quality and an "okay" LED output, choose something listed above.

I would be interested in a build. However if I DYI'd a LED fixture I would still go with top shelf components.
x2 I know you said you don't want to spend the extra money but I cannot say enough good about my

Ray 2
Fugeray Planted+

They are amazing. I'm saving for a ray 2 for my 60 gallon..

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Finnex stuff does have a good rep for sure. If money were not an issue I would likely own it. In the quest to have multiple tanks, lighting has been the last upgraded item. At this point Im done. Im pretty sure the wife will not agree to another tank, was shocked she was the one to suggest I could have my 3rd one. Made sure to make that one count and did the breeder size to be able to use it for more things. I will see if my ZooMed LED comes through and post my thoughts when I get it.

poffman

DMD123 said:
The Finnex stuff does have a good rep for sure. If money were not an issue I would likely own it. In the quest to have multiple tanks, lighting has been the last upgraded item. At this point Im done. Im pretty sure the wife will not agree to another tank, was shocked she was the one to suggest I could have my 3rd one. Made sure to make that one count and did the breeder size to be able to use it for more things. I will see if my ZooMed LED comes through and post my thoughts when I get it.
I know how that goes!! That's why I haven't pulled the trigger on it for my 60..  :D happy wife happy life.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
poffman said:
I know how that goes!! That's why I haven't pulled the trigger on it for my 60..  :D happy wife happy life.
When it comes to my main tank, the 210g in our living room, the wife really does not have an issue with me spending money on it since its the focal point as you walk in our home. She was happy to see the improvements when I upgraded from Beamswork to Satellite + LED's.

With the other tank (72g bow) I had to be a bit more frugal because it is upstairs in an office that nobody but me really looks at. As time has progressed she has appreciated my hobby more and Ive heard her talking with friends (of course when Im not in the room) about the fish, the types, their names, etc. LOL, so she has been paying attention when I talk about the fish!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
How in the H3LL did you get a 972 gallon tank UPSTAIRS?! ;)
LOL - funny what a Shift key and ( can accomplish...

It was a 72g  :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So a little observation on LED's in general and this new Zoo Med fixture.

Why have these manufacturers not have it figured out to put the night lighting and day lighting on different power and switches so that each channel can be independently timed?

The Zoo Med has part of the idea and has put different switches on each channel but then they drop the ball by still powering it by a single power supply. This will be fine for my needs but just one of those things....

A few companies have figured it out, but not many.

dleblanc

I have experience with fixtures from buildmyled.com (aquariumplants.com sells them more cheaply, by about 15%), and Finnex. The buildmyled stuff is very nicely made, the options to mount them are better, and they are dimmable if need be. If you want them to work with a ramping timer, you can. They are also quite expensive, though compared to a couple of years of bulb replacements, it evens out. They have a LOT of LEDs, and may be overkill, depending on tank size and depth. But you can dim them, and dial it in to just right, so it works out.

The Finnex is in comparison much more cheaply made, the driver is much less well made, and while it has the option for moon lights, they're essentially useless if you use a timer. They're probably good enough for most people, and won't break the bank - the buildmyled stuff is about twice the price. If you have a thick tank edge, the mounting doesn't work, and can't be made to very well. I'll have to fabricate and glue a mounting strip to the top of the aquarium - not a huge deal.

dleblanc

DMD123 said:
Why have these manufacturers not have it figured out to put the night lighting and day lighting on different power and switches so that each channel can be independently timed?

The Zoo Med has part of the idea and has put different switches on each channel but then they drop the ball by still powering it by a single power supply. This will be fine for my needs but just one of those things....
I had the same thing with the Finnex - oh, neat, a moon light. Oh, its useless... I'm sure the answer is that the power supply is a substantial part of the price. I think if I decide I want a moon light, I'll get one of those inexpensive submersible ones.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
What these manufacturers need to do is make it capable to run independently with an optional kit. Have two switches installed with the ability to pull a jumper wire off the moonlight and then add the additional power kit to make it work separate.

The company could put a proprietary plug on it so the consumer had to buy their product to make it work. Barrel connectors are great but too easy to make other brands of stuff fit. This way the company would make money and the consumer would be happy.

poffman

DMD123 said:
As time has progressed she has appreciated my hobby more and Ive heard her talking with friends (of course when Im not in the room) about the fish, the types, their names, etc. LOL, so she has been paying attention when I talk about the fish!
Haha!! I catch my wife doing the same, unfortunately whenever she names a fish it dies.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I dont let my wife name my fish anymore, my last big cichlid, a midas, ended up being named Mr. Fintastic, we called him Fin for short.

This time I have taken to naming the fish so thats why I have Porkchop the Pearsei. Who knows what strange name my wife would have given her.  :lmfao: