WTB Large sump

Modest_Man

Looking for something in the 6' range. 100-180 gallons. Already in sump form is great, or just a super beat up acrylic tank that I can turn into a sump.

Located in Orting but am willing to drive.

Side note- any place in Western WA still have a good selection of rare CA/SA cichlids? I hear A Place For Pets isn't like it used to be.

Modest_Man

Yeah, in Orting. We bought a place up here last year. I am working on getting a 400 gallon up and running. Stand is almost done, then test fill and plumbing.

I actually swung by A Place For Pets today as I was nearby spending way too much money at Crosscut Hardwoods for this stand and they had an okay selection. Not like it used to be at all though.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Yeah, in Orting. We bought a place up here last year. I am working on getting a 400 gallon up and running. Stand is almost done, then test fill and plumbing.

I actually swung by A Place For Pets today as I was nearby spending way too much money at Crosscut Hardwoods for this stand and they had an okay selection. Not like it used to be at all though.

When I was professionally maintaining aquariums we would use large plastic tubs for our sumps. Are you placing filtration under or next to or nearby?
Oceanic 144g half circle reef
Acrylic 150g fish only
Roughly 300g in the filtration located in the basement. There is a 30ish gallon trash can next to the system for RO/DI. Micron filter socks in middle tub, live rock in tub on right, and refugium on left.

3A3A2D01-86B7-453F-BC6D-E4E41F6E298A.jpeg 4EDB32D9-CC72-4D6B-A076-BC18BF0902E3.jpeg AECBB37E-2C1B-4822-B930-55FA92712C3B.jpeg

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
What type of fish are you looking for? Most of the LFS have he bread and butter fish, but finding the rarer species may be up to sourcing who currently has and breeds.

If you let me know, I can get you in touch with some local hobbyist not on this site....

Oh, and I have a standard 55 you could use , though way too small for what you’re wanting

Modest_Man

Sump will be going under the tank. I have 95" of length, 33" of width, but only 22.5" of height to work with so I might have to bite the bullet and build my own, but pricing out sheets of acrylic have me second thinking that ($550 a sheet from TAP Plastics for 1/2", though I could go thinner). I was hoping to find an abused 6' acrylic tank that I could modify (aka cut down). I actually had a 180 gallon sump at one time that I sold for dirt cheap because I never hooked it up that I am regretting now.

As for fish, I will probably start out with a large group of small CA's and whittle it down to a large pair or two depending on what I get. I do like the red dovii and would love to breed them and grow out some batches looking for a white with red fish, or some vieja or wild morph snook. Who knows really. I will most likely order from COTA once the tank is running. Bummer Jeff Rapps is gone, not sure what to do!

FishBeast

That’s an awesome undertaking! With that much room underneath you could do a multi-stage sump setup to save money. You could connect 2 x 75g tanks (about $90 each at the next Petco dollar a gallon sale) using flex PVC and bulkheads along with a safety “water bridge” over the top. It will be really tight but if you let the rear portions of the tanks protrude behind the assembly then you will have access. You could also check out plastic-mart for cheap poly tanks of any size. Finally you can check out pentair for weirdly sized and shaped fiberglass tanks. They may ship for free or at least cheap...

I think your best bet will be 2 connected receptacles.

Also here in Washington we have the advantage of having Aquarium Co-op who can order you the fish you need and of course cheap shipping and a great selection from The Wet Spot (aka the cichlid exchange) in Portland.

Post pics when you can!

Modest_Man

Got it 2/3 full today. Need to enlarge some 3/4" bulkhead holes on the side of the overflow to 1" and install larger bulkheads before I can fully fill it. Still fabricating doors. Need to sand and paint.

[GALLERY=media, 281]20190517_204511 by Modest_Man posted May 17, 2019 at 9:26 PM[/GALLERY]

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Hey, if you’re down for a project I can get you an acrylic 100ish gallon tank.

Problem is that it’s cracked on the bottom so it will need weldon and a patch over the crack.....

I can get it for you free. Just message me or reply if this is a project you’re willing to undertake64D2587A-FA59-4956-8ABF-66540E8145C9.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Hey, if you’re down for a project I can get you an acrylic 100ish gallon tank.

Problem is that it’s cracked on the bottom so it will need weldon and a patch over the crack.....

I can get it for you free. Just message me or reply if this is a project you’re willing to undertakeView attachment 5089

If Modest_Man passes I would be interested in helping you clean up your yard by removing that crack tank.