Large Honduran Red Points

Knutsen1122

Just curious what the largest HRP anyone has seen. I have a Large luesistic male and I want to know how big they truly get. Here's my male.

Attachments

• colin2.JPG
    colin2.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 150

Madness

Staff member
BEA utiful. :) Like I mentioned when you were here, I never knew that they got that big.

Knutsen1122

Madness said:
BEA utiful. :) Like I mentioned when you were here, I never knew that they got that big.
Thanks Shawn! That's the whole reason I posted this and asked the question. If you haven't seen one I wonder if anyone has.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have only seen a couple HRP's around and nothing with any real 'size' on it. Most have been secondary fish in community cichlid tanks so not a lot of focus was put on their growth or size. Seen some freakishly large convicts however...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
What's the difference between a leustic hrp and a leustic convict? Visually they are too similar for me to differentiate

Madness

Staff member
That is what I am finding out. The Luecistic HRP males tend to grow much larger than the other regular HRP males. Some have seen/owned them as large as 5-6". I wonder why this is, maybe the luecistic is a different fish and not just a different colored HRP.

Knutsen1122

Madness said:
That is what I am finding out. The Luecistic HRP males tend to grow much larger than the other regular HRP males. Some have seen/owned them as large as 5-6". I wonder why this is, maybe the luecistic is a different fish and not just a different colored HRP.

Wouldn't that be something. I noticed the same thing. All the really large ones are luecistic.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Knutsen1122 said:
lloyd378 said:
What's the difference between a leustic hrp and a leustic convict? Visually they are too similar for me to differentiate

Hey Lloyd! Check this out it tells a little about the difference.

http://www.gcca.net/art-pics/cichlid-pr ... CzbT3i9LCQ

Thanks Colin for the link. I already understood most of the differences between hrp and convicts, but I'm still fuzzy on the leustic ones. They look one and the same to me. This makes me agree with madness' thought of them being the same fish ( which would explain why they both grow to the same size)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought, when I was trying to gauge growth on my male umbee, I drew a 12" ruler with marks on the front of my tank with a whiteboard marker. As he swam by, I was able to make pretty accurate measurements of him

Knutsen1122

lloyd378 said:
Just a thought, when I was trying to gauge growth on my male umbee, I drew a 12" ruler with marks on the front of my tank with a whiteboard marker. As he swam by, I was able to make pretty accurate measurements of him

That's a great idea! Doing it tonight :)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
lloyd378 said:

Awesome idea, that's going on my tank!