L. Tanganyika Cichlids

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Would love to add either of these Neolamprologus signatus or Julidochromis ornatus but won't work with the current collection.
Wonder if tours are available :D

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Would love to add either of these Neolamprologus signatus or Julidochromis ornatus but won't work with the current collection.
Wonder if tours are available :D
If those J. ornatus are really as yellow as they appear in the pic, then these are really good ones. But somehow, I doubt it...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My curiosity got the better of me and so I emailed the Oregon Cichlid keeper to see if he has any pictures of the actual fish since both pics used in the ad are readily found in an image search. The contact instructions were to call/text but not email but no phone number listed.

John58Ford

(503) 867-0856. Have to do the captcha puzzle to get it. You buy I'll fly lol. The boys and I get winter break the next 2 weeks ya know..

sir_keith

Legendary Member
My curiosity got the better of me and so I emailed the Oregon Cichlid keeper to see if he has any pictures of the actual fish since both pics used in the ad are readily found in an image search. The contact instructions were to call/text but not email but no phone number listed.

Are you actually interested in getting some J. ornatus? I have a small breeding colony going and could probably set you up with a few little ones.

Just for fun, here's an image of J. ornatus that I pulled from the web, and two 'revised' versions that were just a few clicks away in Photoshop. Which one is the original, and is it 'real'?

Juli_ornatus_yellow_R2.jpg

Juli_ornatus_yellow.jpg

Juli_ornatus_yellow_R1.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Are you actually interested in getting some J. ornatus? I have a small breeding colony going and could probably set you up with a few little ones.

Just for fun, here's an image of J. ornatus that I pulled from the web, and two 'revised' versions that were just a few clicks away in Photoshop. Which one is the original, and is it 'real'?

View attachment 10826

View attachment 10827

View attachment 10828
I would say the first one is the original. I'm considering julie's. Not sure I would drive all the way to Portland to get them though. Wetspot has 3 different julie species that would be nice to have.
I did text the CL poster and he responded with 2 very short videos of his fish.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I would say the first one is the original. I'm considering julie's. Not sure I would drive all the way to Portland to get them though. Wetspot has 3 different julie species that would be nice to have.
I did text the CL poster and he responded with 2 very short videos of his fish.
Actually the middle photo is the original that I downloaded from the web. It looks authentic enough to be un-retouched. The top photo has the color saturation reduced, and the bottom has it increased.

John58Ford

Actually the middle photo is the original that I downloaded from the web. It looks authentic enough to be un-retouched. The top photo has the color saturation reduced, and the bottom has it increased.
Photos are tricky, depending on equipment it's pretty hard to get clean colors. I'm always careful to try and not "overrepresent" my fish, but due to the "moderate" planted lighting (think looking into a Mac trucks high beams at midnight) I have to bring black point up, and saturation and contrast down quite a bit to get a side by side match. Most folks with the cichlids don't run nearly as much light as I do so maybe next time I'm over I should try and snap a few photos and see how they turn out.

Anyhow, on topic, I would do Portland one rainy afternoon the next few weeks just for voodoo's overpriced but delicious doughnuts. My boys love them, if we could get a fish room tour out of it even better :). No pressure though, I'm looking for something they don't have and no point in buying fish we may have locally unless you need to outbreed a generation or two.

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Photos are tricky, depending on equipment it's pretty hard to get clean colors. I'm always careful to try and not "overrepresent" my fish, but due to the "moderate" planted lighting (think looking into a Mac trucks high beams at midnight) I have to bring black point up, and saturation and contrast down quite a bit to get a side by side match. Most folks with the cichlids don't run nearly as much light as I do so maybe next time I'm over I should try and snap a few photos and see how they turn out.

Anyhow, on topic, I would do Portland one rainy afternoon the next few weeks just for voodoo's overpriced but delicious doughnuts. My boys love them, if we could get a fish room for out of it even better :). No pressure though, I'm looking for something they don't have and no point in buying fish we may have locally unless you need to outbreed a generation or two.
Thanks for the offer. @sir_keith and I are in negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.