Keeping an air pump dry outside?

Jeffro

I have a 20 gallon I was going to set up for the summer with some white clouds. I am wondering what methods might work to keep the air pump dry when it rains.

I would rather not cut any holes to run an airline from inside to outside and I do have an outlet outside near the tank, but I'm not sure if I should leave a pump plugged in out there 24/7.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I have a 20 gallon I was going to set up for the summer with some white clouds. I am wondering what methods might work to keep the air pump dry when it rains.

I would rather not cut any holes to run an airline from inside to outside and I do have an outlet outside near the tank, but I'm not sure if I should leave a pump plugged in out there 24/7.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I would put it in a cheap plastic flower pot and use the tray that goes UNDER the pot as the lid. Put something else underneath it. You cut a hole in the pot - WHALA. Cheap, cheap, cheap and it will keep that pump dry as a bone.

Loren

I am interested to hear how the outdoor breeding works for you. I have a couple dozen white clouds (many fat females) that just swim around happily in the tank without doing anything.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I had some wonderful, gorgeous White Clouds from Cory and they all jumped ship. Who knew they could fit through such teeny spaces? I think Mr. Magic might have gotten a couple too. That's his habit.

Jeffro

An update to the outside 20 gallon:

It grew lots of algae! lol The white clouds lived, but I didn't get any babies as far as I could tell. One issue seemed to be that glass aquariums got a lot of sunshine to grow algae.

This year, I'm going to try a half wine barrel in a shadier area with some hyacinth. I also found a smaller flower pot from ikea that is glazed and sealed on the inside...which seems odd for plants, but is perfect for a mini pond.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Nice update! Lots of times you see a thread started and kind of wonder "whatever happened?' I have debated trying an outdoor diy breeding barrel and try my hand at some white clouds.